21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: day 16 what RU eating?
Created on: 01/17/12 07:57 AM Views: 1971 Replies: 12
day 16 what RU eating?
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM

hi all,

b-back to cereal & banana
l-soup
d-i made a version of happy herbivores cajun meatloaf yesterday... i added black beans & a few other veggies. so that w/a salad & cornbread.

I found my favorite version of cornbread works just fine w/applesauce instead of oil.

I also found we like blueberry balsamic vinegar on salad..no need for oil at all. yum.

RE: day 16 what RU eating?
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

b: usual
l: leftover potato cabbage casserole (there was another container of it tucked away that I didn't know was there until I hunted in the fridge this morning - typically, I grab whatever the oldest leftover in the fridge might be so that we don't get too many science projects...)
d: if it doesn't change, we'll be having quinoa lentil "pilaf" with braised/steamed Swiss (rainbow) chard. Yummy!
Speaking of balsamics, we have a pomegranate balsamic that is really tasty on the above dinner - it adds just that little bit of kick to the creaminess of the 'pilaf' and perks up the greens.
Hubby said this is a good one to do tonight because he's going to use the stems from the chard in the soup stock he's making tomorrow. We're in charge of the fellowship meal at church tomorrow night so he's making a root veg soup (potato, sweet potato, golden beets, turnip, parsnip, carrot, onion in homemade veggie stock) and we're picking up a couple loaves of good bread from a bread bakery - they grind the wheat on premises for all their baking. We'll get a honey wheat loaf and probably their "high 5" multi grain high fiber bread as well.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

B- I tried something new- Grapefruit Brulee I wasn't that sold on it but I could get use to it. I made it into juice. I also had an apple, banana, frozen waffle.
L- idk I think yuca tortilla from veganomicon.I wish she made a cookbook for one.
D- spaghetti with gluten free beanballs. This is one pasta dish that makes great leftovers.

I need to look for cookbooks for one.

Edited 01/17/12 9:38 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

brittie wrote:

B- I tried something new- Grapefruit Brulee I wasn't that sold on it but I could get use to it. I made it into juice. I also had an apple, banana, frozen waffle.
L- idk I think yuca tortilla from veganomicon.I wish she made a cookbook for one.
D- spaghetti with gluten free beanballs. This is one pasta dish that makes great leftovers.

I need to look for cookbooks for one.

Yeah, pasta with bean balls is good - the bean balls with sauce on a nice, dense, whole grain bread make a good leftover sandwich! You can also crumble the leftover bean balls into a skillet and make a "meat" sauce or use them to make something akin to sloppy joes. Sloppy joes are typically beef, sloppy toms are made with ground turkey, we called the vegan variety sloppy 'things' LOL

Also, if you haven't yet, try using spaghetti squash with your favorite pasta topping(s). Yummy!

We don't do grapefruit at all because of hubby's blood pressure meds - major problem if you combine the two.

I think the kickstart has a cooking for one section somewhere.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I've made Snobby Joes which is made of lentils. I might try Sloppy Beanballs.

I've only had spaghetti squash from restaurants. I've never made it myself. Maybe I'll try that and cook it to my liking. It is too hard when i get it at restaurants.

Kickstart does have a cooking for one section but they only tell you to cut the recipes in half which I already do. I think I am just feeling lazy and want someone to do the measurement math for me.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

brittie wrote:

I've made Snobby Joes which is made of lentils. I might try Sloppy Beanballs.

I've only had spaghetti squash from restaurants. I've never made it myself. Maybe I'll try that and cook it to my liking. It is too hard when i get it at restaurants.

Kickstart does have a cooking for one section but they only tell you to cut the recipes in half which I already do. I think I am just feeling lazy and want someone to do the measurement math for me.

Spaghetti squash is easy if you've ever cooked any squash at all. Split it and throw it in the oven until it gets tender. Take it out and then scrape the inside fleshy part with a fork and it just comes right apart into spaghetti strings. It's fun and easy.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

you might try the speghetti squash more than once.. i have made it where i cooked it either too long or too short..
too long it was a bit mushy.. too short a little too firm.. but when gold e locks cooks it just right.. it's worth it. very delish.. love the firm, tender stands.. delicate taste..

oh now you have done it.. where is my squash?

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

cch22 wrote:

hi all,

b-back to cereal & banana
l-soup
d-i made a version of happy herbivores cajun meatloaf yesterday... i added black beans & a few other veggies. so that w/a salad & cornbread.

I found my favorite version of cornbread works just fine w/applesauce instead of oil.

I also found we like blueberry balsamic vinegar on salad..no need for oil at all. yum.

Hi there. I looked on the happy herbivore's site but couldn't find the cajun meatloaf. It sounds so good. Can you pass it on as to where you got it?
Thank you.

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

it was in her cookbook... and sorry but i don't have access to it for a few days..
it was basically gimme lean ground beef, i added black beans, green pepper, onion, sliced celery, i added ground up brocolli. it called for 1 cup bread crumbs.. i added quick oats. oh use flax seed & water boiled together for binding.
it had 1/4 cup hot sauce.. cajun spices... put in a laof pan.. (mine made 2)
put it in the oven ..lightly covered (i think at 350 maybe 375) about 50 min.. then uncovered till brown..

it firms up nicely as it cools.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM

cch22, you are a creative cook! The loaf sounds great - I have an urge to go make some now, but need to eat up some leftovers. I have already started some other cooking projects too - guacamole (my 6 yo will eat any veggie and Mexican dish as long as it has guacamole and tofu sour cream), crepes, pumpkin pie, onion bread, and pizza crust.

I love spaghetti squash too, and agree with the cooking thing. I have also found that it can depend on where/when I get the squash - don't know if it is because of different varieties or different growing conditions that makes one taste so much better. One morning last week, I poked a squash with a knife a few times, then threw it in a pan in the oven while I exercised and showered. When I was done, it was ready. I covered it with canned tomato sauce, kale that was water sauteed with Braggs aminos and onion powder, and nutritional yeast. Yummy breakfast - I had it three days in a row, til the squash was gone. The rest of the family is too chicken/set in their pasta and anti squash ways to even try it. Although years ago, one daughter loved it, but only the organic stuff from one store.

I have discovered a wonderful balsamic vinegar, that I use straight as a salad dressing. I also put it on sauteed cabbage (I have become addicted to this and have it/crave it almost daily) and roasted veggies. It is from a store that I think is franchised, it is called the Oilerie. It is a 25-year balsamic that is very thick.

B: Salad with chipolte dressing (from 21-day kickstart book), plus bites of other things to figure out what I was hungry for (shepherd pie, ginger bok choy, apple slice, tortilla chip.
L/snack: probably sauteed cabbage (breakfast was late, plus I will be out helping in two classrooms, and running kids around)
D: Sweet and sour stir fry (sauce is wonderful and easy from Garden of Vegan). with barley and maybe crepes or rice papers to make spring/eggroll type things. Will probably also serve leftover chili with the guacamole, barley and crepes.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I am not a fan of gimmie lean. I would not purchase it. It is something my husband bought.. he was concerned it was going to go bad if we didn't use it.. so i cut it with black beans. it has soy isolate.

the more i add to it, the less soy isolate i eat at one sitting. Laughing i prefer whole and unprocessed foods. i suppose it is ok for something different..

btw.. i made avacado pesto pasta.. it was fabulous.. with the leftovers.. i added medium salsa.. and used for a chip dip..
wow!! the best...

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I am not a fan of the fake meats either. I used to eat them on a regular basis - loved gimme lean sliced up and pan "fried". I have done a lot of reading in the meantime, and have cut most out. I bought gimme lean and "ham" slices recently. They make vegan meals more doable for hubby. I make meatballs with the gimme lean that he really likes - better than the greasy beef I figure. I got the recipe from a Christina Pirello cookbook (she is basically macrobiotic and very "clean" eating, so a little surprising). I also cook it up into crumbles, freeze it, then break some sprinkle of it off to use as a pizza topping, or to put into tomato sauce for a little meaty and spicy kick. I used to eat Bocas a lot, now I make bean burgers, they are easy and good. There is so much variety in what you can make.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Wash your back

Edited 04/06/12 2:10 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 531 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org