21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: blood pressurenumbers
Created on: 05/28/13 12:26 PM Views: 416 Replies: 2
blood pressurenumbers
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I just have a quick question
i've been following the kickstart program (almost entirely) since February. Yesterday while walking through a market i saw a bloodpressure machine and decided to take mine. The 1st reading seemed high--126/87 . But for somecrazy reason i always feel my heart pound with tests. I just sat for 3 minutes and then repeated. This time the result was 118/76 with a pulseof 68 (it was late afternoon. I'd exercised earlier.) Which result is correct?? And what numbers am I looking for?

Thanks for the feedback

PS--I love the program

RE: blood pressurenumbers
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

you don't really know as a lot of time the machines at drug stores or at supermarkets aren't calibrated. If you live in North America you can purchase a cuff blood pressure monitor at most drugstores, otherwise in the USA you can go to just about any firestation and have your blood presuure checked.

RE: blood pressurenumbers
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Also, if you were walking briskly, that will raise your blood pressure reading (as it should). Sitting and relaxing a bit is important to get a reasonable reading - even if you're at the doctor's office getting an 'official' reading with (hopefully) decently calibrated equipment, try to get there early enough to sit and relax beforehand rather than running in last minute.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 173 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org