21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Diarrhea? =/
Created on: 12/30/12 12:13 PM Views: 795 Replies: 3
Diarrhea? =/
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hi, I decided to start before the January 1st Kickstart and went two days with no animal products and lots of veggies and grains and some meat alternatives. I am experiencing diarrhea on the third morning. Is this just my body adjusting? Will it go away soon, or might I need a probiotic for my belly? Thanks!

RE: Diarrhea? =/
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I can tell you my experience. I had loose stools when I first switched to vegan almost 2 years ago, also gassy tummy. They all went away over time. I do think it is just an adjustment period for your body, different for everyone probably depending on what your diet was like before switching.

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Your gut is undoubtedly adjusting to all the fiber-rich foods. It will "settle," although you should get used to movements that are more frequent and softer.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thanks everyone! I have always aimed to eat a lot of leafy greens every day, but I guess I am eating more leafy greens than I used to and without any animal products. I might try a probiotic too and a one-a-day vegan vitamin with B12 or nutritional yeast for B12 or even Vega One because it has plant based protein too. I just went on my daily run, feeling great and motivated to stick with it. And this community is great support. THANKS so much!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 78 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org