21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Weight loss
Created on: 01/17/12 02:05 PM Views: 4042 Replies: 22
Weight loss
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Despite following the program and sticking to it, I have lost a measly 3.5 lbs. Anybody else have this result? I guess I have to exercise more, but I'm still disappointed.

Edited 01/17/12 2:06 PM
RE: Weight loss
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Really happy with my 6.5 pounds weight loss and I feel better than I have in a long, long time! My joints are less inflammed, my belly fat has decreased significantly, my skin glows and I sleep better. I'm sticking with this for the long term. Love it!

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

jackies129 wrote:

Despite following the program and sticking to it, I have lost a measly 3.5 lbs. Anybody else have this result? I guess I have to exercise more, but I'm still disappointed.

What were you expecting? If you read the fine print on most 'diet programs', they say to expect 1-2 lbs per week. That's about what you've lost so far. So, you're not any further behind than if you used some unhealthy weight loss product. But, you are getting healthier and that's probably more important than what the scale says since that can lie - it can jump up to two pounds just based on what day of the month it is or how much water you had to drink.

Key, as well, is making sure you're:
not eating vegan junk food (heavily processed patties and such)
not eating higher fat foods such as nuts and avocadoes (like using coconut milk in your coffee)
drinking plenty of plain old water
eating plenty of whole grains, fruits, veggies not processed foods (no white bread, for instance)
get moving - bottom line, you have to take in fewer calories than you use to lose weight
make sure you're eating enough - if you cut calories too far, your body will go into 'famine mode' and hold onto every calorie that passes your lips

Remember, it took quite a while to get those pounds on, it's going to take time to get them back off. The kickstart is not a "3 week crash diet" - it's an intro to a lifestyle change toward eating healthier.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this. Don't need a lecture.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

jackies129 wrote:

Just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this. Don't need a lecture.

Not a lecture - it's information for probably a bunch of folks who aren't posting but are seeing the same thing. In the first kickstart I did, I lost maybe 4 pounds total in 3 weeks (give or take half a pound). However, sticking to it as a way of life (with the occasional lapses), I've lost and kept about 15 lbs off over the last 18 months. 15 very stubborn lbs that hadn't gone away no matter what I had tried previously. I've still got 15-25 lbs to go to get where I want to be. And little by little, they are coming off - one pound here, another couple there. Bit by bit.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM

jackies129 wrote:

Despite following the program and sticking to it, I have lost a measly 3.5 lbs.

You should be proud of this weight loss! As mentioned above, a one to two pound weight loss per week is about all you should expect. It's only been two weeks! You are doing great!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM

My weight loss is always slow. But almost nonexistent if I eat too many fats, i.e., nuts, nutbutters, processed foods, avocado, tofu, olives, cooking with oil, etc.

Each body is different but also it is astonishing how fat sneaks in and adds up.

When I follow strictly in conjunction with daily walking, some yoga or Tai Chi, I lost about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds a week. Not fast, but it stays off.

Definitely a way of life, not a temporary diet.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

crunning13 wrote:

Really happy with my 6.5 pounds weight loss and I feel better than I have in a long, long time! My joints are less inflammed, my belly fat has decreased significantly, my skin glows and I sleep better. I'm sticking with this for the long term. Love it!

I haven't weighed myself yet since starting the kickstart but I know I am losing because my clothes fit more loosely. Also, I have an amazing amount of energy, I'm sleeping better and waking up refreshed rather than not feeling as if I've gotten enough sleep no matter how long I have slept. I may be guilty of eating vegan junk food as I love Boca Burgers and SmartDogs/TofuPups. But on the whole, I am eating a much better diet and I see the results in a number of different ways. I'm so happy! And I am very motivated to continue eating this way for the foreseeable future!

Edited 01/17/12 4:14 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I truly admire people who can resist the scale... is there such a thing as a scaleaholic? hmmmm

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM

mellah124 wrote:

I haven't weighed myself yet since starting the kickstart but I know I am losing because my clothes fit more loosely. Also, I have an amazing amount of energy, I'm sleeping better and waking up refreshed rather than not feeling as if I've gotten enough sleep no matter how long I have slept. I may be guilty of eating vegan junk food as I love Boca Burgers and SmartDogs/TofuPups. But on the whole, I am eating a much better diet and I see the results in a number of different ways. I'm so happy! And I am very motivated to continue eating this way for the foreseeable future!

And, if you did weigh yourself, it might not seem like a lot of weight loss but as you've said, you're feeling better and fitting into clothing better. I finally went out in September (one year after my first kickstart) and bought some new clothing. It was pretty dramatic. I kept trying jeans on and having to go back for a SMALLER size! I finally settled on one size larger than I could reasonably fit into, to give myself a little sitting room since I'm at a computer all day, plus it leaves space for those cyclical fluctuations. Then I went and got some t-shirts and sweatshirts. When I started wearing the now-smaller clothing, I had several people who see me pretty much every day comment on how good I looked, how much weight I had lost, etc. (and my hubby LOVES the way I look in non-baggy jeans and a skinny tee!)

For that matter, hubby has lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off as well. And that's a big thing - it has STAYED gone, over time, even through holidays and such. Even IF we 'indulge' a little at special events, it comes right back off when we get back to 'normal' - like tonight's quinoa and lentils with braised chard (and I'll drizzle a bit of pomegranate balsamic on mine, hubby will likely put some of his brand new bottle of hot sauce on his, my 13 yr old son will probably sprinkle on a splash of soy sauce).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Good point Deb, I just got back from a quite long road trip to So Cal. I ate foods I don't normally but cooked at each place to try to have foods I do eat available where possible. On the way home I stopped by my daugher's house for a few days to visit. She is an AMAZING cook and delicious barely covers it. But, she cooks with fats and oils I don't. So while I did consume every morsel of gluten-free vegan food she prepared, I thought for certain I would gain and I didn't!

I think it was due to the rest of the time I ate fairly normal and kept my activity up. Now that I am home, it is back to my normal foods and pleased I didn't gain!

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Good point Deb, I just got back from a quite long road trip to So Cal. I ate foods I don't normally but cooked at each place to try to have foods I do eat available where possible. On the way home I stopped by my daugher's house for a few days to visit. She is an AMAZING cook and delicious barely covers it. But, she cooks with fats and oils I don't. So while I did consume every morsel of gluten-free vegan food she prepared, I thought for certain I would gain and I didn't!

I think it was due to the rest of the time I ate fairly normal and kept my activity up. Now that I am home, it is back to my normal foods and pleased I didn't gain!

Yeah, I was really happy once we got past the holiday season to discover that I had gained about a lb only which disappeared once I was back to my normal routine of eating "the kickstart way" Laughing and getting my exercise in at least 4 or 5 days per week (I usually take the weekends 'off' since they are so busy in other ways - if I've got a free weekend, I'll get in some walking or yoga or something)

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Oh Jackie, I know! I've lost 5 lbs and then gained 3 lbs back. That makes no sense, so I've decided to just ignore the scale. It's scary, but the truth is I feel fantastic, so much better than I did on Jan. 1, and my jeans are feeling really comfortable and not tight at all. I have more than 100 lbs to lose and am mystified that my body is somehow managing to hang on to this weight despite the heroic changes I've made in my diet. But I'm not going to let those numbers on the scale be a reason for me to give up this time. I'm going to be patient, stay the course, and see where I am 3 months from now. What's so great is that I know I can stay the course because I'm not white-knuckling this at all. I love everything I'm eating now. I read once that the best diet for you is the one that you can stick with. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm just going to stick with it. Good luck!

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You go summersummer! I'm right there with you!

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Thank you, summersummer! Let's keep on keepin' on and taking good care of ourselves.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

How right you are,summersummer! Thanks for the encouragement. Let's keep taking good care of ourselves and stay off the scale!

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thank you for the encouragement, Susan! I appreciate it.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Another thing I've noticed is a dramatic decrease in cravings. I can go to the grocery store or convenience store and IGNORE the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups... something I could not do in the past. So proud of myself! Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Isn't it fantastic? I'm not craving sugar either and I'm addicted. Kudos to you!

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM

jackies129 wrote:

Weight loss will come. I feel great and that is more important than quick weight loss. Thank you 21 Kickstart!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 363 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org