21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Did I miss something?
Created on: 01/17/12 03:37 PM Views: 1227 Replies: 5
Did I miss something?
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Good afternoon everyone! Hope you all are really enjoying the Kickstart and beginning to feel the difference that your choices are having on your overall health.

I am a little confused and I'm hoping that maybe I've just missed something but was the 21 Day Kickstart advertised as a amazing new weight loss plan somewhere?

I have been doing the Kickstart for right at 3 years and I'll admit that I have not gone over the introduction information for at least the last 3 or 4 sessions. But seriously, I am slightly taken aback by all of the posts concerning individuals that are not having the weight loss results that they were looking for.

Was there something in the information stating that you could expect to see a significant amount of weight loss over the 21 days? Because in all honesty, I just cannot see that being the case. There are just too many different variables that come into play with weight loss.

And jackies129, please do not think that I am singling you out because there have been several of these posts. However a loss of 3.5 pounds over 15-16 days is FANTASTIC!!! Take that and run with it baby. NOW think about what it might have been w/an increase in your activity level!

Heidi

RE: Did I miss something?
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I agree with you and wonder at it myself. I questioned when I did 3 weeks with 0 weightloss! Smile Found out I love fatty foods, even if they are a healthier version.

People get soooo discouraged with change, so I always try to say something positive, if I can, and encourage and say thank you! Which I am doing now.. Thank you!

Change is hard and it is scary. Our mind/ego/innerself/fill-n-the-blank-here gets trapped in believing that if something is different then it makes it wrong or us wrong. When that happens learning stops, or it is with great effort that we open our minds up to something new. We are creatures of habit and no one likes to be wrong.

Too bad we can't all view information as just that. Information that works for us, now or later, and can be discarded when it doesn't work. No fault, guilt or blame. Just information. Oh one more, NO anger!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

check out the lower right corner of http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/ where it says "Nutrition Resources" It shows a "New 21 Day Weight Loss Kickstart" book. Maybe that's where it's coming from.

I found the kickstart Sept 2009 after seeing Dr Barnard on PBS talking about diabetes management. Weight loss is part of that, but was not the sole reason I started out. I wanted to find ways to manage my glucose levels without having to obsess over every mouthful. I know, now, that if I keep myself full of whole fruit, veggies, grains, legumes and keep it on the lower fat side of things, I actually can maintain a reasonable A1C without having to weigh and measure every bite.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM

As first timers, my husband and I are are truly enjoying this new lifestyle. we didn't weigh in... we were really just wanting to feel better and healthier, and we really do!!! I think weight loss will follow, because of the clear head and desire to get up and move. I think if we stick to a plant based lifestyle our bodies will continue to shed the toxins and fat naturally and when we add exercise to our day... we will arrive at a healthier weight and peaceful mind Wink

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I am one of the ones who did see significant weight loss with the kickstart but as someone else said a lot of different variables come into play with weight loss. I am nursing my 8 month old and I figured that helped me a lot. I have lost 9.5 pounds so far with the kickstart. I had done a lot of eating over the holidays and was eating lots of fatty foods, plus I still have some pregnancy weight I haven't lost yet. And I had a few bad days on the kickstart in which I overindulged in junk food, mainly potato chips and chex mix. But I picked up and moved on and got back on track right after these little setbacks. I did stick to 100% vegan just not always 100% healthy Very Happy So don't be discouraged if your results aren't what you wanted. Take what you've learned about healthy eating and keep applying it to help achieve your weight loss goals. I also track my calories on sparkpeople.com because it really helps me keep it in perspective and I'm making sure I'm getting the right balance of nutrients for me and my little one.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM

heatherz82 wrote:

And I had a few bad days n the kickstart in which I overindulged in junk food, mainly potato chips and chex mix. But I picked up and moved on and got back on track right after these little setbacks.

That's one thing I find much easier than trying to track calories or whatever - if I eat too many calories by 4 pm, there's no way for me to 'remove them' to get back on track (and I'll need to eat at least a little something in the 5 or 6 hours between 4 and bedtime, so that adds to it). I can, of course, get back on track the next day. But, with low fat vegan eating, if I have something (like a grilled cheese sandwich) for lunch - not vegan, higher fat, etc. - I can get right back on track with my afternoon snack and dinner and feel good about getting right back on track instead of being down that I "wrecked" a whole day.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 485 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org