21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Healthy cleaning
Created on: 01/17/12 03:41 PM Views: 2732 Replies: 15
Healthy cleaning
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

As I have posted before my family views me a bit oddly as I do things so differently - Smile

One of which is I don't use chemicals to clean. I found a great book at a friend's house:

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Lemons-Vinegar-Baking-Soda/dp/B002NLNFJ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I52ABPOXXSWGF&colid=1CP8CKEWVDODT

I knew I would not remember all the ideas, so I concentrated on one... (always a great step in a new habit. Make just one and focus on it until it is natural).

I like cast iron cookware but it can be tricky to season well and clean. This book recommended taking some oil (great way to use it up!) and table salt, combining them (I pour right on the pan) and scrub. Then rinse and put on low heat to dry throughly (don't forget about it, set a timer). It keeps the pan seasoned and truly the food came right off the next time I cooked, almost like those nonstick cookware pans I don't trust.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

RE: Healthy cleaning
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Think I might go looking for that this weekend when we go to B&N for their educator appreciation week sale. 25% off books, 10% off DVDs and CDs. Whoohoo - we wait for these events (typically 2 per year, sometimes 3) to do any book buying we want to do.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quite jealous ~ I don't live near a Barnes & Noble! I hope you like the book. I paged through it and some I knew but there were a lot of new options. Let me know if you like it!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Quite jealous ~ I don't live near a Barnes & Noble! I hope you like the book. I paged through it and some I knew but there were a lot of new options. Let me know if you like it!

The educator special counts (I think) online as well, so everyone is near a B&N Laughing

Actually, we were really bummed when Borders closed - we liked that a lot better than B&N, but now we take what we can get.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Look for the Happy Herbivore by Lindsay Nixon. She has 2 cookbooks that are low in fat and Vegan.Wonderful recipes!

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the book ideas. I might have to visit amazon again soon. I had been contemplating buying the happy herbivore book, I think I do want it. The only all vegan cookbook I have is Skinny B**ch. I do have the new moosewood cookbook and Totally Vegetarian by Toni Fiore which are also good and can be adapted to vegan. I wonder if the natural cleaning book has suggestions for cleaning laminate floors, the swiffer refills are so expensive and wasteful...

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If you live in a big city, you can always peruse the books at the library. The Herbivore books are the only ones I would consider buying. The rest I just copy whichever recipes look good.I am making a 3 ring binder with plastic sheets of all tried and true vegan recipes.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Oceandog, you are not alone. I too have gone to natural products. There are many things that really work. I use a special German made cloth with water for cleaning glass. Hubby keeps asking for windex, but that really doesn't work, just creates a more chemical environmnet. I have a book called Better Basics for the home. I must admit I have not looked at it lately (four kids and building a house and now keeping up two houses may have something to do with it), but do use some things from it. Like you said, one thing at a time.

I love the idea for cast iron. I have a cast iron grill/griddle that I love. My mom always used soap on her cast iron, which I have now learned is a no-no if you want to keep it non-stick/seasoned. No wonder she always uses a ton of oil!

For laminate and wood floors, I use a Bona mop (it was recommended by both installers). It is like a swiffer, but has a washable cloth on it. I use Shaklee's Basic H to refill the bottle. The H may seem expensive, but a bottle of it may last me 2-3 years and I mop often.

Bugsmom, do you have to be a homeschooler to get the discount?

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

cathyb wrote:

Oceandog, you are not alone. I too have gone to natural products. There are many things that really work. I use a special German made cloth with water for cleaning glass. Hubby keeps asking for windex, but that really doesn't work, just creates a more chemical environmnet. I have a book called Better Basics for the home. I must admit I have not looked at it lately (four kids and building a house and now keeping up two houses may have something to do with it), but do use some things from it. Like you said, one thing at a time.

I love the idea for cast iron. I have a cast iron grill/griddle that I love. My mom always used soap on her cast iron, which I have now learned is a no-no if you want to keep it non-stick/seasoned. No wonder she always uses a ton of oil!

For laminate and wood floors, I use a Bona mop (it was recommended by both installers). It is like a swiffer, but has a washable cloth on it. I use Shaklee's Basic H to refill the bottle. The H may seem expensive, but a bottle of it may last me 2-3 years and I mop often.

Bugsmom, do you have to be a homeschooler to get the discount?

Any educator - home educator, public/private school teacher or administrator - can get the discount.

We've used washable microfiber cloths and diluted vinegar on occasion in lieu of swiffer cloths and cleanser.

Also, hubby has found with his fav skillet (cast aluminum, heavy duty) that pre-heating it really hot before adding food keeps things from sticking in addition to the nice seasoned patina it's got. Yeah, woks, cast iron type cookware, and stoneware NEVER get soap on them. Hubby nearly strangled his sister when she went to put one of his favorite stoneware bakers into hot soapy dishwater...Now, if we bring something in stoneware to a social event, we keep a close eye on it and as soon as it is empty, we take it out and clean it ourselves (that way it doesn't get soaped AND if it slips and breaks, it's our fault, not someone else's)

Of course, now I'm kicking myself - hubby wanted to put an awesome cast iron cookware set onto our wedding registry but I said No because they were too heavy for me to handle. Little did I know back then how much I'd want them now - plus HE does virtually all the cooking. So, that's back on the 'wish list' for as we can afford it.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

For laminate floors, I always used vinegar/water with a microfiber cloth.

I have 2 shelves of cookbooks, and also have a book named Organic Housekeeping with lots of great ideas as well.

I have rehomed many of the things I used to think I could not live without, and simplified my life drastically. It makes life so much more peaceful and enjoyable. Not to mention less stuff to clean and maintain!

My grandmother use to say she always felt a sense of self satisfaction with a clean house, I can identify a bit with that but adding with a house well cleaned naturally! No chemicals to worry about for me, the grandkids, or dogs! By using the natural products to clean with I also don't end up with cupboards of bottles of cleaner in each room, for each item. Stores would have you believe each item needs its own cleaner! Smile

Deb, I know what you mean, I used to be "grossed out" (am I dating myself?) by the idea that you would actually eat off of anything that wasn't soaped, scrubbed, dishwashered, sanitized, sterilized if possible....I was 17 when I got married. I had some growing to do! At any rate, no way, no how was that nasty cast iron stuff in my house! Laughing
Now, of course, I wished I had a set! I only have a griddle (on indefinite loan from stepmom) but eye the lovely double griddles and soup pots.

The other thing I find myself struggling with is my tea kettle. I know for many this conversation is probably over the top, but I am truly working hard on simplifying more and more to basic comfort and necessities and not much else.

Sooo... I found an electric, glass tea kettle with temperature settings, as different types of teas are best at different temperatures. However, I am also aware that for health benefits (macrobiotics and other forms) it is best to not use electric to cook (hence no miccrowaves for me for some time). The trouble is I am renting at this time and have an electric stove. Sad So I can't decide if I should buy the electric glass teakettle because my stove is electric anyway and I can travel with it, or if I should buy a regular stove top teakettle that is not limited to electric,(and that most likely will last the rest of my life - was that my answer?) but cannot use it in a hotel room etc.. As I finish typing this it seems pretty silly to me too! haha Oh well, this comes from a mind obsessed with all things healthy trying to help mom fight her cancer.

Doesn't it say somewhere it is a good sign if you can laugh at yourself?

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Deb, I know what you mean, I used to be "grossed out" (am I dating myself?) by the idea that you would actually eat off of anything that wasn't soaped, scrubbed, dishwashered, sanitized, sterilized if possible....

It wasn't that I was grossed out - it was that it was too danged heavy. I needed two hands to lift any of it and when it was hot...Yikes!

But now, I REALLY don't like coated cookware and the plain stainless does need something to minimize sticking. Plus, I'm used to handling the stoneware which is also heavy and doesn't get soaped.

I went online and found (on amazon) a cast iron (pre-seasoned) dutch oven combo that has a shallow skillet that doubles as a cover for the dutch oven. I sent the link to hubby to see if he'd like to get something like that.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Deb, I did not word that correctly, sorry!

I didn't mean you were grossed out (my use of a term back then) but that you wished you had done it differently and had those pieces now. My story got a bit scattered!

Yes they are heavy, but there is something satisfying about the naturalness of it now, that would have undone me back then! haha

If you don't mind, send me the link, I would love to take a peak. Smile

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Deb, I did not word that correctly, sorry!

I didn't mean you were grossed out (my use of a term back then) but that you wished you had done it differently and had those pieces now. My story got a bit scattered!

Yes they are heavy, but there is something satisfying about the naturalness of it now, that would have undone me back then! haha

If you don't mind, send me the link, I would love to take a peak. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Cooker/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326902522&sr=8-1

Oh, I get it now. Yeah, there are a lot of things that I probably would have chosen differently then. But I can choose them now. When I know better, I can do better - I can change.

LOL That reminds me of the "man's pledge" on the Red Green Show. "I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Frankly, sometimes I am embarrased of my 20s. Ok, most of the time!

I like the dutch oven, looks very nice! Hopefully, hubby will like it and you get a do over!

I live in a studio now, so I try to make sure everything I have is functional (nice if it multitasks like that set) or beautiful to me. I have gotten rid of nearly 80% of my stuff in the last few years.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Frankly, sometimes I am embarrased of my 20s. Ok, most of the time!

I like the dutch oven, looks very nice! Hopefully, hubby will like it and you get a do over!

I live in a studio now, so I try to make sure everything I have is functional (nice if it multitasks like that set) or beautiful to me. I have gotten rid of nearly 80% of my stuff in the last few years.

Oh, hubby is very particular - with very few exceptions we have no "unitaskers" in the kitchen. Those few we do have either serve a critical purpose (like the fire extinguisher) or they get used almost every day, sometimes multiple times per day. If they don't get used often and they can only do one thing, we don't buy it or get rid of it if we can.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Somewhere today in the forum I posted my list of kitchen essentials. I use most of them daily, except for the crock pot. However, it is wonderful because when I don't use it as a crock pot (it sets on something to make it slow cook) it is my large soup pot.

I got in to simple living years ago and thinking about minimalist, though I doubt I will make it there. Too sentimental and I quilt and knit. But I am minimal for me and get more so each year.

You always sound as though you have such a lovely family and I am so pleased to hear about all of you. Now even more so!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 153 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org