21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: So excited and already started!
Created on: 12/30/12 04:39 PM Views: 953 Replies: 6
So excited and already started!
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I decided to start the day after christmas because i was feeling really in need to get rid of all the junk in my system that i'd been eating over the holiday period.
Well it is not even yet a week and already i've lost 1kg (2.2 pounds) and i'm feeling great.

I've been reading lots of stuff about veganism and watching videos online for different recipes. I'm a really keen cook and i'm really enjoying learning a new cuisine and how to subsitute things for eggs etc.
I'd discovered homemade sunflower milk tastes great and at least for me with what i have available in stores is the cheapest to make. The left over solids i mix in some spices and lemon juice and then i have a good spread to put on toast or sandwiches as well.

Oh and i tried a pasta sauce recipe the other day from John McDougall which is just silken tofu blended with basil (i added some salt, pepper and nutmeg as well). OMG it is AMAZING!!!!!

I've also made the great discovery that egg free fresh pasta that i make with my pasta machine is so less sticky and easy to make and tastes just as good as when i used to do it with eggs!

I definitely think i could stick to this. Unfortunately i have a few events coming up (after the 21 day challenge plus the extra time i got by starting early) that i won't be able to get vegan and this includes a trip to Europe. Well i probably could eat vegan in europe but i would feel so deprived and feel like i was missing out on the cultural experience.
So the plan is eat this way for the 21 day challenge. Provided i continue to feel this great and continue losing weight then i'll get back to this permanently after my Europe trip (and hopefully loose any weight i gain on the trip!).

If anyone is about to start in January you're going to love it! It is wonderful something like this is free too. Thank you so much!

RE: So excited and already started!
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

dirtbooksun wrote:

I decided to start the day after christmas because i was feeling really in need to get rid of all the junk in my system that i'd been eating over the holiday period.
Well it is not even yet a week and already i've lost 1kg (2.2 pounds) and i'm feeling great.

I've been reading lots of stuff about veganism and watching videos online for different recipes. I'm a really keen cook and i'm really enjoying learning a new cuisine and how to subsitute things for eggs etc.
I'd discovered homemade sunflower milk tastes great and at least for me with what i have available in stores is the cheapest to make. The left over solids i mix in some spices and lemon juice and then i have a good spread to put on toast or sandwiches as well.

Oh and i tried a pasta sauce recipe the other day from John McDougall which is just silken tofu blended with basil (i added some salt, pepper and nutmeg as well). OMG it is AMAZING!!!!!

I've also made the great discovery that egg free fresh pasta that i make with my pasta machine is so less sticky and easy to make and tastes just as good as when i used to do it with eggs!

I definitely think i could stick to this. Unfortunately i have a few events coming up (after the 21 day challenge plus the extra time i got by starting early) that i won't be able to get vegan and this includes a trip to Europe. Well i probably could eat vegan in europe but i would feel so deprived and feel like i was missing out on the cultural experience.
So the plan is eat this way for the 21 day challenge. Provided i continue to feel this great and continue losing weight then i'll get back to this permanently after my Europe trip (and hopefully loose any weight i gain on the trip!).

If anyone is about to start in January you're going to love it! It is wonderful something like this is free too. Thank you so much!

Hey Dirtbooksun!

So glad to see you've already gotten things underway - great attitude!

And by the way, I'm going to Europe this year too and we've traveled there on multiple occasions without feeling deprived a minute while vegan all the way! We usually rent homes in Italy and Switzerland, stock up on the amazing vegetables and produce and breads, past and potato ourselves silly and have a grand time. You can, too!

Welcome to Kickstart!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Welcome and yes listento Lani...I have been Vegan just over a year and once you get eating in a healthy plant based and animal free way...your body truly wont care about missing the fat,salt,sugar chemicals etc.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thanks.
I will have a kitchen some of the time so will be able to cook some vegan meals.
I also have a booking for Heston's The Fat Duck restaurant. It is a set tasting menu and far from vegan and very expensive. I am a huge foodie and it has been life long dream to eat there and am extremely lucky to score a booking. So I will be making the very conscious decision to not miss out on that experience Smile
I was vego for 10 years previously (with a gap of about 2 years) so I know I can commit. I have also had no cravings, probably because my previous diet was already mostly healthy homemade vegetarian and I'm not to fussed about cheese.
So just to explain I realize I could travel and be 100% vegan But u am choosing not to.its not about a desire to eat unhealthy food but to have a once in a lifetime experience. But I'll be back to it 100% afterwards.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thanks.
I will have a kitchen some of the time so will be able to cook some vegan meals.
I also have a booking for Heston's The Fat Duck restaurant. It is a set tasting menu and far from vegan and very expensive. I am a huge foodie and it has been life long dream to eat there and am extremely lucky to score a booking. So I will be making the very conscious decision to not miss out on that experience Smile
I was vego for 10 years previously (with a gap of about 2 years) so I know I can commit. I have also had no cravings, probably because my previous diet was already mostly healthy homemade vegetarian and I'm not to fussed about cheese.
So just to explain I realize I could travel and be 100% vegan But u am choosing not to.its not about a desire to eat unhealthy food but to have a once in a lifetime experience. But I'll be back to it 100% afterwards.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hi Guys!

I've been so excited as well so I started to eat vegan main meals during Christmas and I felt wonderful (I tried to put away all the dairy sweets as well - this one I didn't manage..). But still, for the first time my liver didn't beg me for merciful killing after the holidays Wink

What has become a problem..the leftovers from my partner's christmas...OMG. When he came with all those fat dumplings, crepes stuffed with oily cabbage and the fried cabbage itslef (typical polish Christams dish) I felt like sick again.

At that particular moment I decided - yes kickstart is for me! Definetly my liver will be gratefull for that!

This is amazing to meet people who think as me, and who understand the health benefits of veganism.

It is still uncomon in Poland to eat that way, only animal rights and eco activists are sticking to that diet. It's a pitty that it is not known for the bigger audience in here - there are so many ppl with heart disease or obesity that could gain from it Smile

Glad to hear that you are as much excited about the program as I am! I keep fingers crossed for all of us! To improve our lifestyle Wink

Dirtbooksun - 10 years of veganism: AMAZING Smile
Where will you be travelling? Only Western Europe or you would like to visit Eastern parts as well?Smile

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Sorry I should have clarified I was just vegetarian for those 10 years so I ate eggs and dairy. So this is a lot more hard core. I was an overweight vegetarian too back tthen I was doing it for different reasons and wasn't careful about what I ate. So I'm hoping cutting out all animal products and being careful of fat and sugar will make the difference. This last week the weight has just been falling off which is exciting.
My Europe trip is for my honeymoon. France, England, bruge, Italy, Spain and Morocco for a few days at the end. Can't wait!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 258 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: lagartagal, Sakura

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org