21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Recipes
Created on: 09/22/12 09:36 AM Views: 3333 Replies: 10
Recipes
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Having issues with the recipes. Making chai pancakes. Recipe lists a bunch of spices, but never mentions adding them to the flour and milk. I know they should be added to the dry ingredients, but the recipe doesn't mention this little detail.
Then there are the recipes that mention sauteing (like the portobellos). I've come to know sautéing to mean in oil. No mention of oil or anything else. Dry pan? I think last kick start I was told to use water. why aren't the recipes updated to indicate how this is to be done?

Edited 09/22/12 9:37 AM
RE: Recipes
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

You are absolutely right! I think because this recipe was adapted from our "Kickstart" pancake recipe, which allows for many variations, we forgot to adjust the directions (http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=1363). However, you are correct in assuming dry ingredients are mixed with other dry ingredients.

Anytime we say sauté we do mean with water or vegetable broth. Anytime a non-Kickstart recipe says sauté, we suggest using the no-fat method as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

OK, regarding the sautéing, how much water? Heat it before adding anything or add while wateer is cold? Heat about how long?

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for the response! By the way.

Edited 09/22/12 12:44 PM
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Sautéing depends on preference in food consistency. The water does not need to be any certain temperature to start. Treat it just like oil - more will make for "soggier" vegetables while less will make for drier vegetables.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I usually use a couple of tablespoons of vegetable broth when I saute vegetables. If the pan becomes dry, just add a little more broth. I haven't been too successful with a dry nonstick pan.

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I just LOVE the KickStart, this is my 5th or 6th time through. I so appreciate how you've added new recipes. and I loved Kickstart India, nice twist. OK I gotta quit saying I love! But I do, the how to videos are great, however you've taken many of them off your youtube page and I can no longer find them. It would be great if there was one place where all the meal plans and recipes were available. The APP is great, anychance it will be updated with new recipes?? You could add the new menu plans as weeks 4, 5, 6 etc?? Just saying it would be so nice to have everything in one place.Keep up the good work.

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hey! Thanks for the kind words. I asked Jill Eckart, manager of the program, to respond. See if this helps:

I don’t believe the Kickstart videos were ever public on our youtube page, but here's a link that has all the Kickstart videos: http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/webcasts/index.cfm

Do let me know if I've misunderstood your question: Jill Eckart at jeckart@pcrm.org.

We are considering updates for the app, nothing concrete to report yet. I really like your idea, that very much simplifies things, rather than replacing all of the menus, we just add to them. Great idea, we will explore it.

Thanks!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Thanks, for the link, Susan. Thanks to you and the PCRM staff for another Kickstart. I lost 10 pounds during this one. Lost 10 the month before. This forum has been so helpful. Before my introduction into the vegan way of eating (notice I didin't say diet - I'm sure it's my lifestyle from now on) I had no idea what seitan, nutritional yeast or tempeh were. Kale was new to me and I thought my veggie comsumption was pretty varied. The International recipes are great.

Still waiting for the Kickstart Android app. Very Happy

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

You and me both, sister.

I'm so proud of you!! Congratulations - what a testimonial to a new way of thinking about health and a new lifestyle.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I think I found the recipe videos that keyesj was referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DelectablePlanet?feature=watch

If you look to the right on this page, there are 49 PCRM Food For Life Videos.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 573 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org