21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: help staying 'regular'
Created on: 09/22/12 01:00 PM Views: 866 Replies: 5
help staying 'regular'
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Hi everyone,

Wow - I'm sad this kickstart's coming to an end! I've really loved getting to know all of you and the inspiring words and knowledge exchanged.

The one thing I feel I struggled with more than my craving for the milk in coffee/tea...was probably constipation. This past week, I'm not sure why I have not been - sorry I know it may be TMI!

What really helps you guys? I've tried raw / salad vegetables like tomato, bean sprouts, cucumber slice, and usually this along with rice/soy sauce. I stay hydrated but admit I don't drink much water because of the flavour...so I'll have more juice, try to stay with natural, and tea/coffee. But, does plain water help with this problem, more than other liquids?

Thanks so much!
Other than that - I am happy I was able to do this kickstart! Despite a few slip-ups, I'm taking everyone's advice to heart and realizing, it's not worth to beat myself up for the little things - the big picture is, we are all on a wonderful journey towards more peaceful, kind and compassionate living. Very Happy

RE: help staying 'regular'
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

oops sorry for the double post, hopefully it can be removed!

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

You might try squeezing a little lemon juice in your water if you don't like it plain. The water really does helps. A vegan diet usually helps with regularity.

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This is the first I've heard of regularity problems on a plant-based diet.

Posted Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM

From what you posted you are going great with the veggies but there is not enough fiber in your diet. I suggest you try adding more fiber in the form of beans - black beans, green beans, kidney beans or whatever kind you like to increase the fiber. Its also a form of protein but its the fiber that works for your problem. I use beans in many dishes from vegetable casseroles, to home made veggie burger patties, soup. Basically anything I can think of. If you start on the beans and have lots of gas, dont worry - thats normal and will settle down.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Oatmeal and leafy greens are the two things that usually are helpful for me. In fact, a 'slowdown' often causes me to realize that I've been a little low on the kale, chard, spinach, etc. that week so I make a conscious effort to add that back in again.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 233 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org