21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Kudos to anyone who actually stuck to this!
Created on: 01/18/12 06:17 AM Views: 2378 Replies: 11
Kudos to anyone who actually stuck to this!
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Every day I start off super well intentioned. Every day. I am usually great about breakfast and lunch. I have fruit at my desk at work for snacks. All is well.

But when I get home - I am always starving. My healthy vegan supper is not waiting for me - usually - and that is probably the biggest problem. Whatever the kids have made - pasta with cheese, etc. - that is laying around - is what I'll just stuff my mouth with. And even after I do get around to making myself a proper dinner, I'm still hungry and go searching for junk.

But I'm not giving up. Every day is a new day with a new beginning. I'll get there!!

RE: Kudos to anyone who actually stuck to this!
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Having something ready or at least not too daunting to prepare when you get home is a great idea. Also, another problem is coming home "starving." This is a health wrecker for sure. It probably means you are not eating enough during the day. You may need more for breakfast and lunch or perhaps add some snacks. You could start by adding a couple of servings of fruit - one after each meal.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I'm with Susan - you probably need more food and need to do some prep ahead cooking. For example, I have breakfast, a mid morning snack (usually a piece of fruit), lunch, a mid-afternoon snack (fruit or hummus and crackers, something like that), then dinner when I get home from work - fortunately my hubby usually has it almost ready when I get home.

Can 'the kids' make the pasta and save some aside for you before they add the cheese? Can you make two or three multi portion meals on the weekend that you can just reheat when you get home? A can of beans, a can of diced tomatoes and some brown rice thrown in a saucepan with some spices can be tex-mex, Italian, whatever by just changing the spices. Let it all warm up while you change from your work gear and unpack your lunch bag and you're set. It also helps to have ready made snacks - cut up veggies and hummus, multi grain crackers, popcorn (the kind that you pop yourself), fruit, etc ready to grab. Sometimes I'll grab some cooked chickpeas from the fridge, sprinkle with a wee bit of salt and munch them like peanuts. If nothing else, get some pre-washed salad greens and a container of grape tomoates and throw them in a bowl for a salad to munch on - salads are one of those things that can really fill you up for very little preparation. Plan that when you get home, you'll make yourself an appetizer salad to eat while whatever else is heating up. That way, you have a plan already, you're not looking around like a starved hyena.

Also, find something for your hands and mind to do after you get home. Knit, sew, paint, read, take a walk, whatever. And STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN! For me, if I stay sitting at the kitchen table after dinner, I'm more likely to grab one snack, then another, and another... If I get up and occupy myself elsewhere, I'm more likely to not snack.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Fran wrote:

Every day I start off super well intentioned. Every day. I am usually great about breakfast and lunch. I have fruit at my desk at work for snacks. All is well.

But when I get home - I am always starving. My healthy vegan supper is not waiting for me - usually - and that is probably the biggest problem. Whatever the kids have made - pasta with cheese, etc. - that is laying around - is what I'll just stuff my mouth with. And even after I do get around to making myself a proper dinner, I'm still hungry and go searching for junk.

But I'm not giving up. Every day is a new day with a new beginning. I'll get there!!

Fran, Susan and Deb are right and have given you some great ideas for amping up your food load through the day to offset late day hunger.

This is really a big deal. You can't white-knuckle hunger or weight loss - it hooks our survival instinct and overrides our better judgement every time!

Here is are a couple of articles that may help:

2 huge eating mistakes women make when trying to lose weight and what to do about it

3 secrets to mastering leptin & ghrelin on a weight loss diet: Are your hormones hijacking your willpower?

And your thoughts about having something ready when you get home - readily available - is another important diet survival tip.

Thanks for your post, it's a good opportunity to help everyone!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I would also keep something to snack on for the way home. That way you have a bit of something immediately before you come through the door, that may help to get you through dinner prep. I love snack foods, cut up carrots, grape/cherry tomatoes, etc..

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

we used to make 'sectional' meals when our son was a toddler or so. He'd often be hungry around 4 pm but I didn't get home until 5:30ish. So, rather than making him wait and get fussy or feeding him and then making something else for "us grown ups", we'd do 'meal prep' in sections: hubby would cut up carrots and celery, shred cheese (not vegan back then), that sort of thing, and put out a small plate of it on the table ala 'salad' while making the rest of the dinner salad. J could munch on it if he got hungry. It was no extra work since hubby was making a dinner salad anyhow. kwim? So, perhaps having something as an 'aperitif', a piece of fruit, some whole grain crackers, etc that can be eaten either right before leaving work or in transit, can be the opening to whatever dinner is going to be.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Whenever I don't have enough time or creativity to cook something, I make a fresh vegetable juice. The nutrients are immediately available to your body and satisfied hunger quickly and keeps you full with the fiber that does exist even in juices.

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the replies! As Lani wrote, I hope all the ideas help other people as well!

I actually made it through yesterday on track! Here's to more of the same!

All the best.
Fran

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the replies! As Lani wrote, I hope all the ideas help other people as well!

All the best.
Fran

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Fran,
If you can, make extra at supper time and set it aside for when you get home tomorrow.

I usually try to make a big pot of whatever stew (such as the recent curried potato, lentil and peas stew) We had it for supper, we had more the next night for supper, then I split it into containers and put a couple in the fridge for lunches this week and a couple in the freezer for future lunches.

If you have some time this weekend, make a couple stews or chili's and put some away for your dinners and lunches.

Also, I've been finding this week ( I think because it is cold outside finally) that I'm hungrier. So I've been packing extra salads. Sometimes I add garbanzo beans to my salads to give me a little more substance for the afternoon.

Just a few thoughts

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Fran wrote:

All the best.
Fran

Hi Fran,

Congratulations on making it through yesterday. I hope today is as successful for you. I dont have any thing to add that has not been said in the other posts but i did want to let you know you are not alone with this issue. Outside of giving up cheese getting home and eating well in the evenings was one of my biggest challenges over the past year of being vegan.
I would 1. eat something i shouldnt because I was getting home hungry or 2. eat out of habit because thats what I did when I got home, even if not really hungry.

One of the many benefits that I have gained from the kickstart program has been realising all the reasons
I eat, not just what I eat. Prior to becoming a veganist these reasons were emotional, habit, mindless picking at food without even thinking about what I am doing, procrastination when I dont want to do something that needed to be done so I walked into the kitchen to get something to eat - often associated with studying. Hunger was probably last on the list as I never stopped eating long enough to get properly hungry. Then came vegan eating and i started to feel hungry as you describe .....

I have instigated many of the ideas given to you and it works for me. Sunday afternoon has become my cooking time that I look forward to. I make enough meals to last me through the week so that all I have to do is heat and eat. Also the idea someone gave of finding something else to do when you get home while waiting for dinner to cook/heat is a great one. I make sure I take snacks to have during the day at work as lunch alone isnt enough to hold me over.

Good luck and keep trying. You will reap the rewards in the end.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Another suggestion and sorry if it has been stated is batch cooking. It makes coming home for dinner ALOT easier and quicker. And it makes getting food for the next workday easier as well.

I plan out what I'm going to eat for the week, grocery shop for those items and will spend 1 - 2 hours on a Saturday or Sunday cooking food for the week. My 8 yr old son gets involved so it's good family time as well (currently I'm a single mom).

I make everything:
breakfast
~ cinnamon apple oatmeal, breakfast rice pudding, plan steel-cut oats, pancakes
lunch
~ Hoppin' John salad, lentil burgers, 3-bean chili (wonderful in a crockpot), mixed veggie salads,
snacks
~fruit/veggies, hummus, chips, nut butters),
dinner
~ see lunch options, dairy-free mac ' cheese

We get home and dinner is on the table within 40 minutes. We have to walk the dog as she's pretty insistent on that. Wink

Hope this helps a little bit.

Kim

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 149 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org