21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Any generic tips?
Created on: 01/18/12 08:15 AM Views: 2712 Replies: 14
Any generic tips?
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM

hi all,

just a couple of things i found in my travels that really make my socks roll up and down.. so glad that i found them, that they are always in stock.

First is Nacho Mamas Vegan Queso. http://fatgoblin.com/
I have my local health food store stock this. They have learned that it disappears. Really makes burritos fantastic.

The second thing is flavored basalmic vinegar. Believe it or not i found stores popping up all over the country that sell nothing but olive oil and balsamic vinegar. they are called all different things.. Saratoga Olive Oil Co, Olive tap.com..
Get this.. a company called Veronica Foods, http://www.evoliveoil.com/ made it easy to open a store anywhere. They supply the olive oil & balsamic vinegar & the know how. BUT.. they let you put your own label on it.
Now i am not telling you to open a store... but i am saying that is why there all different names with the same stuff.
My favorite balsamics are blueberry, pear & cinnamon..
With a good quality, great tasting balsamic.. i find i don't even need or want oil on my salads.

so do you have any great finds?

i am looking forward to trying microwave sweet potato chips.. gotta get the stuff for the microwave...

RE: Any generic tips?
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 8:48 AM

cch22 wrote:

hi all,

just a couple of things i found in my travels that really make my socks roll up and down.. so glad that i found them, that they are always in stock.

First is Nacho Mamas Vegan Queso. http://fatgoblin.com/
I have my local health food store stock this. They have learned that it disappears. Really makes burritos fantastic.

The second thing is flavored basalmic vinegar. Believe it or not i found stores popping up all over the country that sell nothing but olive oil and balsamic vinegar. they are called all different things.. Saratoga Olive Oil Co, Olive tap.com..
Get this.. a company called Veronica Foods, http://www.evoliveoil.com/ made it easy to open a store anywhere. They supply the olive oil & balsamic vinegar & the know how. BUT.. they let you put your own label on it.
Now i am not telling you to open a store... but i am saying that is why there all different names with the same stuff.
My favorite balsamics are blueberry, pear & cinnamon..
With a good quality, great tasting balsamic.. i find i don't even need or want oil on my salads.

so do you have any great finds?

i am looking forward to trying microwave sweet potato chips.. gotta get the stuff for the microwave...

The Pampered Chef pantry has some good flavored balsamics - I like the pomegranate balsamic. Didn't think I would, pomegranate is generally not one of my favorite flavors. But it works well with the balsamic. I tend to prefer a good plain aged balsamic on salads but the pomegranate flavor is nice on rice dishes - I put a splash of it on the rice and chard mix we had last night; the acidity is nice with creamy starches like rice, quinoa, lentils.

Probably the biggest thing since we started our first kickstart over a year ago (sept 2009) is investing in a commercial quality blender and food processor. We killed our last consumer variety of each. Dealing with things like chickpeas for making hummus was rough on the old ones. And we make hummus a lot!

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My step-mother recently introduced me to a new product that she buys at her local health food store in Alabama. The brand is Explore Asian, and this company makes amazing noodles out of beans. I've tried the black bean noodles and the soy bean noodles. I'm hoping to get my hands on the mung bean noodles soon.

This "pasta" is very high in protein, as you can imagine, so I skip adding tofu or beans. They have a great texture and are gluten free!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I found the Mung Bean Noodles in of all places-Safeway!

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I put my vinegar in a spray bottle. I also like red wine vinegar infused with roasted garlic.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

great emergency meal: baked sweet potato with a can of Amy's chili on top

great way to eat all your veggies: measure 1 lb of raw salad vegetables, mostly greens, into a container every morning. Eat it all by the end of the day. This is the same principal as measuring out your water for the day, and it works! I munch on it all day and then have a salad with whatever is left at night. Easily the single best new habit I've formed.

I'll have to try that vegan queso! The magic of high quality vinegars has been a great discovery for me, too. I got a great pear vinegar at Whole Foods. Also splurged on some white truffle oil since just a teaspoon can turn any dish into something sinful. There was an amazing store in Houston called Oil & Vinegar. It's a national chain, but alas there isn't one in New Mexico. They sell some things online, though. http://www.oilandvinegarusa.com/

Edited 01/18/12 11:54 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

summersummer wrote:

great emergency meal: baked sweet potato with a can of Amy's chili on top

Potatoes can be microwaved to be done really quickly - if you use a microwave. Nuke some frozen veggies and that's really quick too. Also, most pastas and most frozen veggies can be cooked in the same pot for the same amount of time (give or take, for some veggies, you might need to put them in a minute or two before the pasta to avoid mushy pasta). Drain and season as you like, one pot to clean, takes all of maybe 20 minutes (including getting the water hot).

Oh, as far as other 'indispensibles' - pressure cooker! We can put beans to soak at breakfast and use the pressure cooker to have them ready for dinner. We cook 4 cups of beans at a time usually, and store them in fridge for quick meals - cook some rice, add pre-cooked beans (canned would work too), and a can of diced tomatoes, plus fav seasonings and you've got dinner in a hurry. Add a side salad to round it out if you've got the time and fixin's

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Ok my list of necessities:

Kyocera ceramic knife
wok
steamer
rice cooker
bamboo cutting board
waterless cookware
cast iron griddle
Vitamix
mandoline/food processor
water filter

I have not seen the bean noodles, but am interested! I am also interested in trying all the balsalmics. Sounds like a new treat.

My mom's health is so bad right now, we are getting her started on macrobiotics so will need to find out if she can have that for added zip to her food.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

~Vitamix
~Crockpot
~Boil a bag of baby potatoes and have in the fridge for anything and everything. I don't care for potatoes in the microwave for some reason. Sometimes I just pull out a couple and eat them like apples.
~Once a week I cook a big pot of mixed grains, Kashi 7 Grain Pilaf, plus forbidden rice, hull-less barley and quinoa. It goes with beans, in salads, in soups, by itself, whatever.
~Always have salad greens in the fridge.
~Always have my favorite veggies in the freezer. If I miss a trip to the farmer's market I can still get my veggies in.
~Simply Organic all-purpose seasoning - I use it on and in so many things I can't list them all here. Just a good all-purpose seasoning.
~Organic, minced garlic is always in the fridge. I love garlic.
~Drink lots of water.
~Always take some kind of food with me when I leave the house.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Agree with Deb R....pressure cooker, pressure cooker, pressure cooker....don't know how I lasted so long without it.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Wow! This may be a no-brainer for many of you, but did you know you can pop popcorn in a brown bag in the microwave with no oil? Just throw the amount you want in a brown lunch bag and fold over the top. Then just hit the popcorn button and voila, quick no-fat snack. Top with nutritional yeast or seasonings. Dr. Oz says to spray the popcorn with aerosal oil like Pam to help the seasonings stick, but you certainly don't have to.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM

@ id..I JUST tried that last week!! i was shocked but super happy that it worked perfectly! couldn't believe that i didn't know that before now...

i have not found a way to make the nutrional yeast stick .. don't really want the oil.. it just kinda drops to the bottom of the bowl. i gave up on it.. i either have plain or when i want a treat, i make kettle corn.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

IdTeach wrote:

Wow! This may be a no-brainer for many of you, but did you know you can pop popcorn in a brown bag in the microwave with no oil? Just throw the amount you want in a brown lunch bag and fold over the top. Then just hit the popcorn button and voila, quick no-fat snack. Top with nutritional yeast or seasonings. Dr. Oz says to spray the popcorn with aerosal oil like Pam to help the seasonings stick, but you certainly don't have to.

We wanted popcorn last night but the big pot we use to make it was busy soaking beans for today. I happened to remember this and we happened to have a brown paper bag handy so we tried it. Hubby just stood there watching the microwave saying "It works! Cool!" Laughing We did decide that, with out microwave, the popcorn setting was a little too short - there were a bunch of unpopped kernels that probably needed a few more seconds. So, next time (yes NEXT TIME), we're going to set the microwave for 5 minutes and then just stop it when the popping slows down.

Still need to figure a way to get the flavoring to stick - might need to check out option to spritz the popcorn with. Hubby suggested a spray bottle with salt water - just have to not soak it too much.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM

http://www.garlicvalleyfarms.com/product1.html

Try this on your popcorn. Spray lightly, then sprinkle a little of the very fine popcorn salt, shake it up real well. Can you tell I'm a garlic lover?

I think salt water in a spray bottle would work too. Key is to spray very lightly or it would get soggy.

This spray is also good for stir frying veggies with no oil.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Wild4Stars wrote:

http://www.garlicvalleyfarms.com/product1.html

Try this on your popcorn. Spray lightly, then sprinkle a little of the very fine popcorn salt, shake it up real well. Can you tell I'm a garlic lover?

I think salt water in a spray bottle would work too. Key is to spray very lightly or it would get soggy.

This spray is also good for stir frying veggies with no oil.

Looks interesting but I don't know that my son would like the garlickiness on his popcorn. Definitely would be interesting for stir fries and such that already use garlic anyhow.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 450 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org