21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Let's support each other
Created on: 12/31/12 12:23 PM Views: 12579 Replies: 77
RE: Let's support each other
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Jodie wrote:

Food4thought wrote:

A bigger issue for me is when I am not home--either in a restaurant or someone else's home. Maintaining a vegan diet under those circumstances has been very difficult for me. My discipline and willpower fades when I am with other non-vegan people.

Always eat before you go out, better decisions are made on a full tummy. Then you can be happy ordering a side salad or baked potato, maybe some steamed veggies. Mexican restaurants are easy, lots of veggies and corn tortillas, beans (if not cooked w/ animal products or oil), Thai and Chinese have rice and veggies.

Eating at someone's house, tell them your restrictions before the event. Offer to bring something that you know you can eat. Most friends are more interested in your company than what's on your plate.

That's our strategy for family events (especially the holidays!) We eat before we leave home so we're not famished when we get there and dive into the chips and dips and cookies and ... And, we bring a "side dish" to share that doubles as a main dish for us. For example, for Christmas dinner, we brought a quinoa chickpea "pilaf" with spinach and onions and garlic. Quite yummy and vegan and "looked" like a side dish (there was no meat in it lol). SIL's MIL liked it enough to ask us to leave some of the leftovers for her! And, it made a great "day after" quick lunch for us as well. For Thanksgiving, we brought a mac'n'cheez casserole (not-cheese sauce, yeah it uses cashew butter so it's not really low fat but it is vegan) that had veggies and white beans mixed in. Tasty "side dish" and main course all in one Wink

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hi Everyone!
I'd like to join this forum if there is room for me-everyone seems very supportive and kind. This is the first time I'm trying vegan for reasons of compassion and also the great health benefits. I have about 50 pounds to lose.
I had a slip-up this morning but am determined not to beat myself up about it. I'm having fun finding new recipes and educating myself about vegan foods.
All the best, Minz

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Welcome Minz...trying new foods and recipes helped me in the begining...theres a lot free here and also on Happy Herbivore Blog, Forks Over Knives, Engine 2 just to name a few along w/ PCRM

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Oh and Nutrition MD is great too! Get on all thoes email lists and you have plenty of "good" information.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Welcome Minz! There is always room for more vegans Very Happy

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Welcome Minz! Glad to have you here!

I hope everyone is ready for day 3. I had a couple minor transgressions last night - but still was quite healthy and feel great this morning after my workout!!!! First morning workout in weeks. Exercise is such a key for me - and I know if I don't get it done in the morning before work, my odds of getting it done at all are slim.

I have about 5 different things I can do here at home, total gym, weights, wii fit, videos etc. - but I often use the excuse that I don't belong to a gym - but oh yeah, my work has a fitness center that I can use for free, so that excuse doesn't cut it either. Well, at least for today, I did it!

What are you guys doing for exercise? I love walking, but my road is covered with snow and ice - hopefully, it will melt over the next few days.

Stay strong everyone. It really will get easier once our bodies and tastebuds adjust. Check in and let us know how you're doing. K

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Keep Goin K...I have a guest room/workout room where I to have an assortment of machines,dvds and equiptment. I love walking also and along w/gardening, walking is all I do to stay fit during the sommer months. For now its the workout room every morning (5:30) usually just for 1/2 hour, maybe one day a week I will spend 1 hr.
My real secret wepon is I have a friend that used to walk w/me every am here in our village, then the weather turned bad and we've decided to continue our routine in my workout room....so supporting each other is very helpful. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow K when I am excersizing and sending you good vibes to help you excerze too. Very Happy

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Kay - wonderful for you about the exercise! Definitely something I need to incorporate into my life...I will get there. Doesn't it feel great to sweat and know you're doing something so great for your body and health?!?!

I had a green smoothie this morning - YUM! My cells must be happy with me. I also watched Forks over Knives for the first time last night as some added inspiration - loved it.

Amanda - I checked out your blog..very cool for sharing your story.

How is everyone else?

All the best, Minz

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM

For exercise, I do have a gym membership and the gym offers free classes with the membership. I do weight lifting, yoga, spin, and karate (I pay extra for the martial arts but its so good for me).
Kay, the more you do your workouts, the more it will become a routine and it will feel weird when you can’t make it happen. I’m like you though, I need to do it in the morning or odds are it won’t get done. I also have a very physical job so I’m wiped by the end of the day and a workout isn’t on my to-do list at that point. I think the key is variety. It keeps you from getting bored and also keeps your muscles from getting bored too.

And thanks for looking Minz Smile Comment too if you wish!

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I happened to hear a talk from a personal trainer and exercise guru who had a guest part on a local TV show for a while. She talked about not needing to do anything fancy or expensive and to use your everyday environment. Walk, take the steps/stairs (several times), mow the lawns, visit your local park and use your body weight against a pole as weight to tone arms and so forth. Her philospohy is that the best exercise is any exercise that you stick with and do routinely.

I decided to go with that and not be wishful for exercise equipment I cant afford. So the dog gets walked a bit faster and for longer than before. I mow the lawns and try to do chores around the house with a bit more vigor. I did get a pedometer for christmas (Fitbit one) so that is my one luxury. It measures my steps and sincs with my computer and sends me weekly reports and stuff. It is a bit addictive so now I am moving more and wanting to keep my steps up each day.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are all different in how we approach exercise and so long as we move then its ok. If anyone is quietly reading this thinking they dont have a gym membership, dont have any home gym equipment etc., cant afford to buy any as the economy is still tight (and they just spent their money on ingredients/healthy vegan foods for the kickfast) dont worry. You can still do the exercise part of becoming healthy along with diet. Just keep moving Very Happy

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/03/13 3:22 PM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Well said Kiwi!

I love the pedometer idea. I made some Dr. McDougall's soup for lunch - and while it was in the microwave and steeping, I did a few laps inside my building. Probably only 500 steps - but it's better than sitting there looking at the microwave!

I wouldn't get much use from the pedometer until spring, but I can see why it would be motivating. I actually gained about 10 pounds when my dog stopped being able to take vigorous walks. It really shouldn't stop me from taking them, but she looks SO hurt if she catches me Sad If I get the pedometer, and my doggie is still around, I guess I will have to drive somewhere to start my walk. Don't know why I never thought of that before...

In the mean time, doing anything is better than nothing - so let's just do it!

Hope you are all staying on track today. I have a meeting this evening that includes wine - so I will have to be extra vigilant - but so far, so good.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

kiwi wrote:

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are all different in how we approach exercise and so long as we move then its ok. If anyone is quietly reading this thinking they dont have a gym membership, dont have any home gym equipment etc., cant afford to buy any as the economy is still tight (and they just spent their money on ingredients/healthy vegan foods for the kickfast) dont worry. You can still do the exercise part of becoming healthy along with diet. Just keep moving Very Happy

Good point! I have the gym membership only because I really enjoy lifitng weights. If not for that, I wouldn't bother and would do things at home.

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Just wanted to give you support and encouragement by sharing that I lost my last 30 pounds going vegan a few years ago but since June 2012 I started back on animal products and gained 20 pounds! It's amazing to see that the animal products are what did it. Blood type A does respond best to a vegan diet. It might be harder if you are blood type O. You can do it!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Can't walk where I live - busy, sidewalk-less road (people whip through there way faster than they should!scary!). Could walk here at work (there's a nice walking trail around the property) and I've done that occasionally. There's also a nice gym here with weight, machines, etc. Never used it. Used to have a gym membership. Used it for a while but having to get in the car to get there made it less than optimal - too easy to say it's "too late, too cold, too wet/snowy/rainy, gotta pay bills, do dishes, etc" Mornings are less than great for me to get out early. So, we invested in a decent treadmill, recumbent exercise bike (back support), and some handweights of various sizes (1, 3, 5 lbs). The weights and bike are in the living room, the treadmill in the finished basement. I can't avoid them at all (have to walk past the treadmill a minimum of twice a day since that's where the entrance from the driveway is). I've also got a yoga routine that I recorded when I was taking a yoga class taught by a friend (she charged non-perishables for the food pantry for teaching the class - win all the way around). Need to get back into the yoga routine; just getting back into the treadmill this week as well. I know I feel much better when I have those things in my weekly routine.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Keep up the good work everybody!

@Never2Late, I work out during my lunch break at work. Generally, we only get 30 minutes, but I requested longer so that I could exercise during my lunch break. 1 hour does the trick!

I have not faced a whole lot of challenges yet. I find that when I tell people I'm going vegan "just for 6 weeks" as a trial, that I get a much better reception, and they patiently wait while I custom-order everything, and check the ingredients at the grocery store.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

rachelemeyer wrote:

Just wanted to give you support and encouragement by sharing that I lost my last 30 pounds going vegan a few years ago but since June 2012 I started back on animal products and gained 20 pounds!

Animal products and fast foods / processed foods -
Did anyone else see the article about what is happening in china from the Washington Post? Its worth a read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/in-china-obesity-bcomes-a-problem-thats-foreign-to-survivors-of-its-great-famine/2012/12/28/7e746dc4-4872-11e2-820e-17eefac2f939_story.html

Colin Campbell - the author of the China Study must be very disheartened watching a healthy diet go bad.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Never2Late - hope you were able to resist the wine, or maybe just had one glass. Wine is a weak spot for me.

I enjoyed hearing what people are doing for exercise...I definitely need to figure out the best way to incorporate that into my lifestyle.

What's everyone having for din? I found vegan pizza dough (as far as I could tell) so I made a veggie pizza, hold the cheese. It was really good! I went to the "mediterranean bar" at the store and got some olives, capers and other good stuff to top it with. Yummm.

Day 3...we are all doing great!

Edited 01/03/13 9:10 PM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I did check out the post article - pretty scary how quickly the American way of life changes people's health.

Great job Minz - I had some left over organic whole grain pasta that has been in my pantry forever - with marinara sauce. I even skipped the cheese. I did have a few more bites of no sugar, low fat pumpkin pie - but it is now finished thanks to my boys, so tomorrow it will not be a temptation. Normally I would beat myself up over something like that - but I'm doing so much better than I normally do that I'm just letting it go.

I made it through another day at the office without putting my hand in the candy jar - and passed on the wine at my meeting. How can this be? These are all things I want to omit every day - and every day, I fail. It feels a lot better to succeed - and Mini you are right when you say "The battle not to start with one piece is smaller than the battle to stop after eating one."

I feel like this chat room is really helpful. You guys keep me focused and I am really glad you are here! Onto day 4!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Never2Late wrote:

I did check out the post article - pretty scary how quickly the American way of life changes people's health.

Great job Minz - I had some left over organic whole grain pasta that has been in my pantry forever - with marinara sauce. I even skipped the cheese. I did have a few more bites of no sugar, low fat pumpkin pie - but it is now finished thanks to my boys, so tomorrow it will not be a temptation. Normally I would beat myself up over something like that - but I'm doing so much better than I normally do that I'm just letting it go.

I made it through another day at the office without putting my hand in the candy jar - and passed on the wine at my meeting. How can this be? These are all things I want to omit every day - and every day, I fail. It feels a lot better to succeed - and Mini you are right when you say "The battle not to start with one piece is smaller than the battle to stop after eating one."

I feel like this chat room is really helpful. You guys keep me focused and I am really glad you are here! Onto day 4!

You make a great point about not beating yourself up. That's a lesson I'm learning. When I've fallen off the wagon a bit....I remind myslef that I'm succeeding at this more than not so I need to, as you say, let it go!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Great job everyone! Let's keep going on day 4!
Tonight I'm having chili beans served over brown rice. I want to use some of the leftovers on top of baked potatoes too. I think the delicious sounding recipes are a huge motivator too. There is such variety and everything sounds wonderful! I want to try it all at once!

- Amanda

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 181 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org