21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Let's support each other
Created on: 12/31/12 12:23 PM Views: 13175 Replies: 77
RE: Let's support each other
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Dinner last night was:

spinach and a ton of mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil with red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, and garlic salt.

While my husband ate the same with a side of chicken (which I used to eat with him).

It felt strange preparing it, but it was satisfying and yummy! A good tip I heard somewhere, don't worry if your dinner is "non-traditional" like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. It doesn't matter, as long as you get enough to eat, and ideally, some nutritious food!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Sometimes we're having a soup that isn't one of son's favs so he'll have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. Tonight we're having whole wheat and buckwheat pancakes with local dark amber maple syrup. Every other Friday is Pancake Dinner at our house (with lots of other options besides maple syrup - assorted jams, cinnamon, peanut butter, apple sauce, etc)

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I haven't heard from many here today so how is everyone doing? Not giving up I hope! Smile

I found a puffed millet cereal that I sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar and brought to the movies the other night. This gave me something sweet to munch on without buying candy and soda. I have since used that for a snack topped with a splash of vanilla soy milk. It tastes like the kid cereal Honey Smacks! Yum!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Hi Minivegan,

Things are going well. This is not my first kickstart but I feel more motivated than ever. I was thinking about it while out walking the dog and believe the additional motivation to make changes and stick with them is because my health has not been the best for the past 3 months and I really want to feel better and have more energy. Its a shame that for some of us we need to be unwell to get the motivation to change rather than doing it while we are well - to stay well, if you know what I mean.

The only thing that I have eaten since we started that isnt on my low fat/decreased sugar vegan plan was a small bar of vegan chocolate. I made a wrap for dinner with vegetables, rice, lettuce and hummus made using the recipe in the 21 day kickstart book.

I am pleased all is going well for you.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/05/13 3:00 AM
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM

kiwi wrote:

Its a shame that for some of us we need to be unwell to get the motivation to change rather than doing it while we are well - to stay well, if you know what I mean.

Boy, do I know what you mean.

How can I continue on a path that already gives me pain when I go up and down stairs, makes me unable to rise from a sofa without using my hands to push off, and makes looking in the mirror, really looking, gut wrenching. I know this path ultimately leads to heart disease, diabetes, or stroke, so how can I continue to comfort myself with the cause of all these pains, food?

I haven't been perfect the last 4 days (including a bloody mary and a beer last night) but I have been healthy. I've been exercising, eating well, walking when I can - I've lost at least 4 pounds so I know I'm heading in the right direction. And while I wish the road was not so long, with this as my lifestyle, I'll get there in time.

Checking in here with you guys - leaving denial in the past, at least while I'm here - and knowing that the vegan lifestyle has benefits far beyond my own health, really gives me strength.

I have not taken care of myself for a very long time. I feel like this is going to stick - and I'm pulling for all of you too!

I hope you will check in when you can. Have a great weekend. Very Happy K

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

kiwi wrote:

Hi Minivegan,
Its a shame that for some of us we need to be unwell to get the motivation to change rather than doing it while we are well - to stay well, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. This has been a battle with my mother and I for years because she has diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and is overweight. Its hard to change but you keep trying and that is what is important! Never give up!

- Amanda

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:17 AM

hello y'all
I would love to support anyone who is having issues with weight after suffering from trama. I have noticed when my anxiety is up from PTSD my weight goes up also regardless of what I eat or drink. Vegan lifestyle does give me more good days than bad by eating no meat. Do you think the violence the animal suffers while dying is transferred into our bodies when we eat it? I'm beginning to think life's energies are digested along with what we are eating. I might be over sensitve to this. IDK. Anyone else making this connection or am I out of my mind.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:18 AM

hello y'all
I would love to support anyone who is having issues with weight after suffering from trama. I have noticed when my anxiety is up from PTSD my weight goes up also regardless of what I eat or drink. Vegan lifestyle does give me more good days than bad by eating no meat. Do you think the violence the animal suffers while dying is transferred into our bodies when we eat it? I'm beginning to think life's energies are digested along with what we are eating. I might be over sensitve to this. IDK. Anyone else making this connection or am I out of my mind. Surprised

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:18 AM

hello y'all
I would love to support anyone who is having issues with weight after suffering from trama. I have noticed when my anxiety is up from PTSD my weight goes up also regardless of what I eat or drink. Vegan lifestyle does give me more good days than bad by eating no meat. Do you think the violence the animal suffers while dying is transferred into our bodies when we eat it? I'm beginning to think life's energies are digested along with what we are eating. I might be over sensitve to this. IDK. Anyone else making this connection or am I out of my mind. Surprised

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

hello y'all

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM

oops....sorry for so many copies of post. Couldn't find a way to delete...

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

anita wrote:

hello y'all

Welcome Anita,

I hope you are wrong about the violent energy transfer, but I do believe in karma, so IDK.

For me, eating healthy is akin to 'being clean'. It's just so much harder than other addictions, because there's no way to go "cold turkey" - I quit smoking one time, but I avoided cigarettes for weeks. Cooking and keeping my pantry stocked for 4 boys - I'm like an alcoholic working in a bar. Strictly following a plan like this is my best hope.

I'm not sure if I got here via trauma, but I know I feel better when I eat this way. I'm glad we can support each other on this journey.

A couple of us will be starting over with day one tomorrow (1/7) if anyone else is interested in a reboot, PM me or post here.

Sending positive energy to all! K

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Never2Late wrote:

anita wrote:
hello y'all

A couple of us will be starting over with day one tomorrow (1/7) if anyone else is interested in a reboot, PM me or post here.

I love the idea of rebooting! Great idea.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I just found this site, but decided to go vegetarian December 1. I want to go vegan for my own personal reasons. I just watch a video about fat. This is great. My biggest problem was the feeling alone part...lol What's a reboot?

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Reboot = just starting the kickstart plan from the beginning again on Monday. I veered a little off course a few times last week and want to get back on track.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

anita wrote:

I want to go vegan for my own personal reasons. I just watch a video about fat. This is great. My biggest problem was the feeling alone part...lol

Welcome Anita! I was a vegetarian for 11 years before playing around with going vegan. I'm completely plant based now and I wish I had done it sooner! There is so much information out there now about the hazards of dairy products. You won't be alone on these boards so I really hope you take the plunge and try it Smile

- Amanda

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Never2Late wrote:

Reboot = just starting the kickstart plan from the beginning again on Monday. I veered a little off course a few times last week and want to get back on track.

Reboot is one idea but another option is to keep going on this kickstart and trying to do better for the second half and joining the kcikstart next month as the kickstart is being held monthly from now on. So you could keep a journal and compare how you did in January to how you do in February. that way you will get the email support at the same time. It has taken me a few kickstarts to really get it all together.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

anita wrote:

hello y'all
Do you think the violence the animal suffers while dying is transferred into our bodies when we eat it? I'm beginning to think life's energies are digested along with what we are eating. I might be over sensitve to this. IDK. Anyone else making this connection or am I out of my mind.

Hi Anita,

You are not the first one to make the connection. Some believe this transferrence occurs and some just think those that believe it are crazy. There are authors who write about it/mention it in books on animal welfare and veganism e.g. Vegan Freak - being vegan in a non-vegan world by Bob and Jenna Torres. From memory I think Peter Singer in some of his writings has also talked about this link. Buddhists believe in karma and advocate vegetarian eating so as not to do harm to other creatures as do some other religions. I dont want to get to graphic as 1. this kickstart is about diet and there are other animal rights websites and 2. it upsets me to even think about this - but in areas of China they torture dogs before killing and eating them as they say the hormones and adrenaline released from the stress before death flavours the meat and makes it taste better. If true there is some physical transferrence as well as spiritual. I personally have no doubt that we are what we eat and it affects us in more ways than people realise. You dont hear of vegans in the news doing horrible things to other people.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome Kiwi and Minivegan

I believe my weight issues are emotionally based…doh! But there is something else I’ve noticed too since going without meat and dairy.

Several years back, more than 10 years ago I went thru some major trauma and almost purposely gained 20 pounds. Starting at about 120 I easily got up to 150.

I now weigh 127. Several pounds ago I noticed the scale slowed to a halt, and during this time I would wake up extremely sad and emotional. No dreams were attached to the feelings or anything I could remember but just overwhelming sadness upon awakening. Some days I would just cry it out other days I would just get on with my day.

I’m not a sad or depressed person especially in the morning. For me it’s the best time of the day. I just stuck to my own convictions regarding eating animal products and eventually I felt better and then the scale started moving again. I drop about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.

My question is this….Is emotional energy of trauma stored in fat? Can emotional chemistry in the body get store in fat as toxic only to be released at a safer time? Thus causing weight gain for unresolved or unsettled emotional issues on an unconscious level?

I’m beginning to believe there is so much more to being human than I ever thought possible…..or I’m just losing my mind. Which is ok, most of my family thinks I have..

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I don't know about the emotional energy of trauma or emotional chemistry but if someone is stressed out they are unlikely to lose weight regardless of what they are eating or not eating. I first heard this on the TV show America's Biggest Looser and have experienced it myself. Obviously I am speaking about stress in our 'normal' lives (work, family, relationship, financial, no sleep, type stresses) not the extreme exceptions such as people starving in Africa due to famine.

One thing I have learned over the years is that we earthlings are complex beings and much more than what you see physically. I am a work in progress still trying to figure myself out let alone trying to figure out anyone else Laughing

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 413 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org