21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Sugar,Fat,Salt, OH MY!
Created on: 12/31/12 03:50 PM Views: 1108 Replies: 6
Sugar,Fat,Salt, OH MY!
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Thankful the holidays are about to end...Im not scrooge haha...but glad to get the temptations OUT of my house. I am a retired parent and grandparent and married to grandpa who is an excellent cook...but he cheats because he loads everything up w/ sugar,fat,and salt. Well tomorrow will be another feast with all the family here where we cook, serve and put away unhealthy choices and amounts of food to satisfy grandpas needs....I am Vegan and can resist the animal products ...but the treats and sweets also containing sugar,fat and salt get to me after awhile. I am extreemly healthy and am at a healthy weight even with the 3# I gained over the holidays...but I dont like how the ectra weight feels and how loaggy I am, but happy to be here and part of the Kick Start....this is the 4th time Im doing it. Happy New Year Everyone

RE: Sugar,Fat,Salt, OH MY!
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, minus the oil. I'm pretty good about avoiding that. But I still get caught on the calorie dense items loaded with sugar. I've been plant based close to 2 years now and although I was "healthy" to begin with, I feel so much better now. Don't need caffeine to stay awake, no more constipation or upset tummy, haven't had a migraine or any headache for that matter, and I don't catch colds or the flu when the whole department is walking around sick.

Now I just need to drop those extra holiday pounds from all the calorie dense treats. (Happy Herbivore Carrot Cake Cupcakes, mmmmmm.)

After tonight. Wink

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

oh I have all of Lindsays books and love experimenting w/recipes....and actually Im doing good w/added oil also....my "fat" problem comes w/snacks like chips...I really can stay away most of the time. Well good luck tomorrow and for the next 21 days....I like the re enforcement and knowledge I get from PCRM and Engine2 and the Fork Over Knives gang oh and Get Vedjucated too All good stuff.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I had a really hard time resisting the sweets and junk at the holidays too. They were EVERYWHERE. I'm glad that it is now a new year with little (if any) parties for a while so I can get myself on track. Once I can "detox" from all the fats and sweets, it will be easier to say No, thank you to them.

A tip for parties is to bring a vegan dish that you know is healthy so you have something there to eat. I've been doing this for the last few and everyone else raves about how good my dishes taste Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

wow, you all seem very experienced veteran vegans =)

Perhaps you can help shed light on something...if i eat things that are made with oil...like using olive oil, canola oil with vegetables, is that okay / still healthful? How concerned should I be about this? I'm normal right now but high cholesterol runs in my family as well as diabetes...Hope none of this would affect that.

I'm south Indian, well my dad is from south India. So often we will eat something called Dosai which is really healthy - just savory rice crepe/pancake made from rice. but it does use oil...we try to use healthier oils to make it but I hope its not something to worry about too much.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If you do not have heart desease I wouldnt "worry" about an ocassional meal prepared w/ oil...however make it a challange or goal to slowley reduce the amount of oil in your native recipes and start experimenting w/ water saute and other ways to cook without fat....that was hard for me to get used to too....your taste will change and you will start to appreciate the taste of the whole foods...there are so many recipes on the 21 kickStart have fun...there is also a number of recommended cook books out there that follow this concept.....if you do not have heart desease its not as crucial to illiminate all oil...but you will see amazing weight loss.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

lovekittens wrote:

Perhaps you can help shed light on something...if i eat things that are made with oil...like using olive oil, canola oil with vegetables, is that okay / still healthful? How concerned should I be about this? I'm normal right now but high cholesterol runs in my family as well as diabetes...Hope none of this would affect that.

If heart disease runs in your family, I would follow Dr. Esselstyn's advise....
No Oil -- Not Even Olive Oil!

If you're just concerned about weight, or if it's healthy or not, oil of any kind is the most calorie dense item you can eat. And this is a low-fat vegan lifestyle. Yes oil is vegan, but it's full of fat, so it's not low-fat vegan. Try to minimize it where you can, like saute with water or broth. Check out....
OIL TO NUTS: The Truth About Fats

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 167 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org