21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Pizza and Pasta
Created on: 12/31/12 06:26 PM Views: 747 Replies: 6
Pizza and Pasta
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Just wondering about the recommendation when eating out to try the pizza and pasta since both are made with egg...yes?

RE: Pizza and Pasta
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

mlg wrote:

Just wondering about the recommendation when eating out to try the pizza and pasta since both are made with egg...yes?

Yea, I think you are going to have a difficult time finding vegan-friendly Pizza / Pasta at a restaurant, unless it specifically states it on the menu. I'd skip and look for something else.

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

All you have to do is ask, you'll be surprised. We've found a few pizza places that don't use animal products. Though there will most likely be oil and refined flour in the crust. As for pasta, many places carry whole grain pastas now.

You can always call ahead and notify them of your dietary restrictions and ask if they can make you something.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Papa John's is the only delivery pizza I've heard of with a whole grain/ whole wheat crust. I tell them to hold the cheese on the veggie pizza.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Pizza just order the vegetarian option without cheese.
Pasta choose an extruded type pasta like penne. They traditionally are not made with any egg. Spaghetti is also probably going to ok. Fettachini or lasagna may not be so ask.
I think Italian food is going to be the easiest.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If you're going out, then ASK the server if the dough (pizza or pasta) is made with egg. Pizza dough is rarely made with egg (it's not needed, just flour, water, yeast, a pinch of salt, a bit of oil) in my experience (hubby makes it from scratch at home when we want pizza - we grind the whole wheat flour ourselves as needed then make the dough). Most dry pasta, especially the extruded types, are egg free as well. I just did a quick google on "Ronzoni pasta ingredients" (just picked a random well-known brand name) and there are no eggs in the ingredients. Unless, of course, you're buying "egg noodles" specifically Wink

--DebR

Edited 01/02/13 2:14 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

http://www.doubledaves.com/menu/nutritionguide.pdf

I just checked the above web site to see if there was any Cholesterol in the pizza crust at DoubleDave's and there is none, a good sign it's vegan. However, the 1 gram of saturated fat concerned me so I also called them and the person answering the phone said the crust is vegan but they do put butter on it when they bake it. They will omit the butter upon request.

If you order a thin crust, whole wheat, no butter, veggie pizza, (with red sauce), no cheese it should be vegan. The whole wheat is a honey whole wheat and if you consider honey non-vegan then just get the regular crust.

Eating out vegan will increase your investigative and interrogating skills. Wink

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 181 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: bewise88

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org