21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: share your favourite low-sugar / nonsweet snacks!
Created on: 02/02/14 01:13 PM Views: 635 Replies: 6
share your favourite low-sugar / nonsweet snacks!
Posted Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

All I can think of when I'm on the go, to keep me energized, are hummus with crackers, maybe if I could find vegetables but it's hard to buy tomato and broccoli, and a little messy to eat..I would have to cut it up and bring a plate or something? It would require time!

Well, just wondering what is a more convenient solution? Maybe fruit is easier for this purpose, but I do not know what fruits are best in terms of- the fruits that are not so sweet or have so much sugar. Maybe the fruit cups, also near the produce sections of the supermarket?

Thank you all =) Oh and, a happy groundhog day to you, I wish I could see him/her in real life! Would be very cute. =)

RE: favourite low-sugar / nonsweet snacks
Posted Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Have you tried grape or cherry tomatoes? Those you wouldn't need to cut up. I put fresh vegetables in ziplock baggies and hummus in a small tupperware or gladlock container. You'll need to cut up brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, or whatever to eat it anyway so why not put some in ziplock baggies to take with you? Grapes are an easily transportable snack to take along. I have an insulated reusable lunch bag I pack my snacks in to take along with me.

Jen

Edited 02/02/14 7:35 PM
RE: low-sugar / nonsweet snacks!
Posted Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM

If you're looking for convenient fruits that aren't too sweet and that transport well (without tons of mess), I'd recommend apples. I almost always bring an apple or two with me as snacks.

Bananas are convenient too, but they bruise easily so you'd have to put them in a firm container.

Fresh berries also make nice, refreshing snacks.

Posted Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM

If you're looking for convenient fruits that aren't too sweet and that transport well (without tons of mess), I'd recommend apples. I almost always bring an apple or two with me as snacks.

Bananas are convenient too, but they bruise easily so you'd have to put them in a firm container.

Fresh berries also make nice, refreshing snacks.

RE: nonsweet snacks!
Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 at 2:49 AM

A zip lock bag with small carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli or other veggie with a small container of hummus is always good.

RE: share your favourite low-sugar snacks!
Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I pre-steam the small red potatoes in my electric pressure cooker. I take 1 or 2 in a baggy in a small lunch bag with one of those tiny ice packs. I eat the potatoes just like an apple. Its delicious and very filling. It really curbs my appetite well.

I take fresh strawberries with me. They hit the spot. Or if I am not going to be home for hours, I put frozen raspberries or frozen cherries in a Thermos....delicious!

Posted Monday, February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Oranges and tangerines grow in my yard, so I pop a piece of citrus fruit and one or two tablespoons of raw nuts into a ziplock type plastic tub for a snack. If you have time to make something ahead, why not try a mixture of several colors of bell pepper strips, cucumber, jicama, carrot, and celery sticks with one of the dressings from Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes or make one of the dip recipes to eat with crackers?http://www.nealbarnard.org/pdfs/Diabetes_Recipes.pdf

email

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 192 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: murzilkin56

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org