21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: vegan 'fun' foods?
Created on: 01/01/13 02:36 AM Views: 988 Replies: 6
vegan 'fun' foods?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I know that we should be emphasizing the fresh, natural foods...but somehow I worry those cravings for sweets will get to me! I'm going to try my best with coffee/tea, with just sugar and soy milk.

But what about milk chocolate? And I heard Oreos are vegan, can we have these things as part of the kick-start...just so we don't feel deprived? After all, a few cookies or chocolate is better than a pint of ice cream or scrambled eggs!

RE: vegan 'fun' foods?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Oh, sorry guys - looks like I accidentally got this posted twice, because I didn't think it had worked the first time. Perhaps someone can delete one of them for me lol.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You are your own boss in this. If you feel the processed ingredients in Oreos are vegan and what you want to put in your body, then it is fine for you. For now. Later, you may choose differently. This is a path of learning and progress.

I think what might be fun for you is to experiment with healthy versions of your comfort food. Examples, do you like ice cream? Freeze some fruit blueberries and strawberries are a good choice, put them through a blender with a frozen bananas (banana makes it creamy) and see if you can't find a good sub for ice cream.

Many people swear by this:
http://www.yonanas.com/

I have a vitamix, so I use that.

I have a recipe for banana bites. They are made from whole oats, over ripe bananas and a few other ingredients. No added oils and such and my sister and I eat them instead of cookies.

Get the idea? Give your taste buds an opportunity to let go of bad foods and chemicals and introduce them to what whole foods can do.

Enjoy the journey most of all!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/01/13 12:51 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I agree, at the end of the day - we decide if we want to be vegans living on cereal, cookies, french fries...or try to make those healthier changes!

I do love my oreos...but i'm able to find small packs with about 6 of them, not a huge package. these are perfect just during the day as snacks. I'm discovering some new things, like instant noodles and adding to that, some legumes and soya sauce especially is really growing on me!!

I just mean, that so many people seem to think of veganism as a kind of buddhist deprivation diet, and I believe one can be vegan and still enjoy their treats time to time! I hope so anyway.

I don't have a blender at the moment, but this would be good to utilize soon.

back to instant noodles though...especially rice noodles, as I'm a bit wheat/gluten intolerant and get very bloated / IBS symptoms with this. I know sugar gets a bad rap...but I'd like to think I can still use rice as part of this kickstart? and still keep healthy. Weight isn't really my main problem...kicking the sugar habit is =(

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I understand about the wheat, I have Celiac Disease, so no gluten at all for me.

Did you look at the yonana? Do you think it might help?

I love my sweets as well, but I find alternate ways to enjoy them. There are lots of ways to have healthy sweets, just begin the search and look at it as a treasure hunt.

I will be waiting to read about what you find!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You know guys what I found very useful? When I started to read the labels. Especially at sweets.

I've learned about what hydrogynated fat, artificial flavors, preservatives and corn syrop causes and I just did'nt want to put it inside of my body. Most of the sweets have one of those so I've just kicked out those things from my menu easily.

That was the main breakthrough for me - when I realized that I just DONT WANT to eat anything that can harm my bodySmile

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

KasiaK wrote:

You know guys what I found very useful? When I started to read the labels. Especially at sweets.

I've learned about what hydrogynated fat, artificial flavors, preservatives and corn syrop causes and I just did'nt want to put it inside of my body. Most of the sweets have one of those so I've just kicked out those things from my menu easily.

That was the main breakthrough for me - when I realized that I just DONT WANT to eat anything that can harm my bodySmile

Well said! I also find after reading a few labels, I often don't finish! I see one thing that is unacceptable to me, and I put it back. Frequently after reading a few....I get disgusted and walk away from that aisle altogther! I don't eat a lot of processed foods for lots of valid reasons and I am happy I don't, but that said it is a journey. You have to start where you can.

Pick one thing to let go of that is easy. Built up the strength, just do the one thing, then the next. Baby steps as they say. If you feel up to it, do more. Feel empowered by the better choices you are making!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 713 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org