21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: honey?
Created on: 01/01/13 02:39 AM Views: 827 Replies: 3
honey?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I hear different opinions on this...is honey vegan, or no?

I have a friend who has been vegan for years and she lives in the UK. However she says that honey is ethical, or it is good for the bees..something like this...so it's okay to consume...

But I somehow feel that taking honey from bees is harmful to them, and isn't it their food that THEY consume?

Just wondering. Instead of honey, can syrups be used to sweeten things, for example, caramel or maple syrup for tea? it might sound strange...but I imagine it will still taste good?

RE: honey?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 7:01 AM

It seems this question comes up every kickstart. Honey is NOT vegan. But there are vegans that eat honey. It's just a decision you have to make for yourself. Diet wise if the worse thing you do is have occasional honey, in my opinion, you'll be just fine. If you're trying to be vegan for ethical reasons I'm sure there will be others that chime in here to tell you why you should never eat honey.

Vikki ~

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Honey is not vegan because bees are harmed (some killed) during the extraction of the honey. Being "vegan" means no harm to the animals. So if you're an ethical vegan, don't eat honey.

This is not so much a "vegan" diet as it is a healthy lifestyle change. Many people say "I'm not vegan but I follow a low-fat vegan diet". After all, french fries and Coca-Cola are vegan too, but you're not eating those on this plan.

Honey is the pollen the bee has collected, you're not eating the bee.

Maple syrup is my sweetener of choice. (Although, I'm using this kickstart to help me cut back on added sweeteners and salt.)

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

There are lots of things to use in lieu of honey. Try agave syrup or brown rice syrup. Hope this helps.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 198 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org