21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: vegan 'fun' foods =)
Created on: 01/01/13 02:42 AM Views: 888 Replies: 6
vegan 'fun' foods =)
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I admit I have a sweet toothe..and I'm worried with this kick-start, if I don't have the 'treats' I will start to feel deprived, and a little bit of sweet is better than a whole pint of ice cream, right? Smile

I know the emphasis with this kick-start is on fresh, natural foods...but what about chocolate, any vegan kinds? I'm weak, admit it, when it comes to milk chocolate bars Embarassed Embarassed

RE: vegan 'fun' foods =)
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM

"Milk" chocolate is clearly not vegan. There are some vegan dark chocolate products on the market. If you have weight to lose, of course it's going to be better to avoid those empty calories.

Vikki ~

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Hi!

I understand your problem. I love sweets as much as you do, and I noticed that more I eat them more I need them...That is why it is better to try to fight with this. It will never stop on one bite of chocolate or just one spoon of ice-cream...

To help you out I have a lovely recipe for chocolate dip. Just blend the bananas with spoon or two (depends how strong the flavour you like)of cacao. This is your dip! Then you can cut the fruits and use eat them with a dip. I know it's nothing new, but it helped me! Now I have noticed that my taste buds have changed and the normal chockolate is too sweetWink Fruits has become more atractive to me Wink

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I have really enjoyed carob chips! For dessert recipes check out some of the cookbooks. I like Lindsay Nixon's The Happy Herbivore and some of Dreena Burton's recipes in her Everyday Vegan and Let Them Eat Vegan. There are so many recipes you shouldn't have a hard time finding ones you like.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I made this chocolate mousse/pudding last night.
serves 2

Silken tofu
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tbs maple syrup

Whiz in a food processor. Pour into 2 bowls and refrigerate before eating.
I topped mine with some nectarine which was delicious.

My meat eating partner now finally doesn't complain when I say something has tofu in it. Silken tofu is now my new favourite cooking ingredient!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I usally get the sugar attack at night. So I've been eating oatmeal with cinnamon and apples or applesauce. This helps me.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Fortunately, I'm not a milk chocolate fan - but a good 70%-85% cacao is yum! We have a fav shoppe near us that makes vegan organic Belgian chocolates (all hand made right there!) using no refined sugars (mostly agave or brown rice syrup). Still high in sweet and some level of fat but it's also super expen$ive so it is easy to limit it to a treat for holidays and such a few times per year. The other thing that helps me is to NOT limit myself per se but rather to plan for a small amount of good quality chocolate on a routine basis. It's much easier to pass up the chemical laden mass market chocolates when I know I'll be having a good quality dark chocolate tomorrow (or whenever). Sometimes, especially in winter, I find that if I have a teaspoonful of dark chocolate chips on my cereal in the morning, I am satisfied and can skip chocolate the rest of the day. In summer it's not as big an issue (in summer, I'd rather have a strawberry!) I use the Ghirardelli semi sweet chips - they don't say "vegan" on the label but the ingredients don't have milk fat, casein, etc either (and not being labelled "Vegan" means they're easier to find and less expensive). They are produced in a plant that does have milk products (so there's an allergy warning on the label). The bittersweet chips oddly enough do contain milk fat (I'd've though it would be the other way around). It satisfies the sweet tooth and the chocolate buds. And, the higher the cacao value, the lower the sugar/carbs usually (and sometimes there's even a wee bit of fiber there too). For my homemade granola, we have a source for roasted cacao beans and I'll 'skin' them (like taking the paper skin off peanuts) and grind them up and mix them into the granola for just a nice bitter/sweet/fruity chocolate taste - but no added sugar or fat and it's vegan (since it's just the cocoa nib).

Also, an old roomie showed me an 'emergency' chocolate fix trick. Mix a teaspoonful of raw cocoa powder with a tablespoon of honey (which is an edge case for many vegans; could probably use real maple syrup but not agave - agave never freezes - we tried lol but anything that crystallizes would work); plop it on a bit of parchment or waxed paper and freeze. Makes a simple candy bar that can easily be made vegan)

--DebR

Edited 01/02/13 2:29 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1068 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org