21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Is it OK to eat nuts, seeds for the Kickstart?
Created on: 01/01/13 09:47 AM Views: 795 Replies: 4
Is it OK to eat nuts, seeds for the Kickstart?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Hi,
I've been vegan (with a few exceptions) for a few years now. Have lost a bit more than 50 lbs but have been stuck at present weight for a few years and am not lossing as I wish. Put this down to nut consumption and lately peanut butter, not the best exercizer.

Have heard that a 1/4 cup nuts/seeds a day is OK and useful because of the omegas. Or should I cut out nuts for the next 21 days?

Thank you.

RE: Is it OK to eat nuts, seeds for the Kickstart?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Nuts are extremely high in calorie density, so if losing weight is your ultimate goal, then yes, I would cut them out of your diet. As well as other calorie dense items like avocados and olives. For info on calorie density check out...
The Calorie Density Approach to Nutrition and Lifelong Weight Management

If your truly worried about getting in enough Omega 3's, although you'll get plenty following a plant based diet, leafy greens are abundant as well as soy products.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I'm not sure where this stands as a 'nut' but I found coconut milk is wonderful, and I enjoy coconut in general. I know it's high in fat but I think it's the good kind, yes?

Also, sesame seeds and paste, I think this is an option...I am allergic to near all tree nuts but I remember hearing about sesame paste and you can use it like peanut butter but it's nut-free. I'll have to find that for this kickstart!

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I think if weight loss is a goal and you are plateauing, then yes, eliminating the nuts is a good idea. You will get plenty of healthful omega-3s in all your plant sources, and in the perfect ratio!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 476 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org