21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Sauteing?
Created on: 01/01/13 10:19 AM Views: 1181 Replies: 6
Sauteing?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Sauteing? Is this dry sauteing? In the zucchini recipe for day 1, it advises to first saute the zucchini and then add the balsamic vinegar. I've heard of water sauteing but not dry.

RE: Sauteing?
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I dry saute all the time, if something starts to stick you can always add a little water after you start and it will quit sticking. I prefer to start out dry sauteing because most veggies will release their own liquid when cooking and adding water to that will make the pan too wet.

Just have some water ready to add to the pan if things start sticking.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

To not add oil, you can saute in a non-stick pan with just water or vegetable broth.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Aircarter,

I love to do what I call steam-fry or steam saute, and as mentioned, I use veggie broth, which is easy to get at market.

Start with a little in the pan, add heat, start to add your chopped veggies, and keep adding more as needed until veggies are done - you can even place the lid on for awhile as it cooks.

It always turns out savory and delicious!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I was using a recipe that said to saute (no mention of adding any borth, water, etc) but it said to save the juices from the veggies. There weren't any juices! I was going to use the veg broth, but it kindof defeated the purpose of getting the juices from those mushrooms.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Just a slight splash of veggie broth or water is all you need. You can always add more. Then as the veggies release their wonderful juices you won't have to much liquid. Experiment and don't worry, it will become second nature. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

megmcm wrote:

I was using a recipe that said to saute (no mention of adding any borth, water, etc) but it said to save the juices from the veggies. There weren't any juices! I was going to use the veg broth, but it kindof defeated the purpose of getting the juices from those mushrooms.

Really!?! I find that really odd. Whenever I saute mushrooms they release SO MUCH liquid. I wonder if something else was going on. Or maybe you cooked too long, and the liquid evaporated.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 259 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org