21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Thyroid Supplementation
Created on: 01/19/12 11:10 AM Views: 2051 Replies: 5
Thyroid Supplementation
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I take Armour Thyroid daily. I chose this over Levothyoxine because it is a natural source. I understand that it is made from pigs and I am willing to accept this over taking a synthetic.My question is about soy products. I have read that they can negate the effect of the Armour Thyroid.Does anyone have any scientific information? I am a heart patient and need to have my thyroid regulated. Should I cut out soy in all forms?

RE: Thyroid Supplementation
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I also must add that I have been consuming soy since November 2011. I would hate to think that when I go for my physical-my D.O. says my levels are low and bumps up the dose. How long would it take to get the soy out of your system?

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I also have a thyroid that needs regulating and have chosen Levothyroxine as the regulator. I went to a holistic nutritionist who advised me to avoid all soy and fluorides. Some experts contend that as little as 30 mg of soy isoflavones will cause trouble by compeying with hormones for the same receptor sites on cells. Because of that, they cause endocrine disruptions. The endocrine system may mistake the isoflavones for a hormone and not send out signals that the hormone needs to be produced, which could be problematic if you already have lower than normal levels of thyroid hormone production.
Avoid Fluoride (in tap water and toothpaste). Fluoride, Chlorine and iodine are chemically related. Chlorine and fluoride block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland, resulting in reduced iodine-containing hormone production and finally in hypothyroidism. I hope that helps!

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

crunning13 wrote:

I also have a thyroid that needs regulating and have chosen Levothyroxine as the regulator. I went to a holistic nutritionist who advised me to avoid all soy and fluorides. Some experts contend that as little as 30 mg of soy isoflavones will cause trouble by compeying with hormones for the same receptor sites on cells. Because of that, they cause endocrine disruptions. The endocrine system may mistake the isoflavones for a hormone and not send out signals that the hormone needs to be produced, which could be problematic if you already have lower than normal levels of thyroid hormone production.
Avoid Fluoride (in tap water and toothpaste). Fluoride, Chlorine and iodine are chemically related. Chlorine and fluoride block iodine receptors in the thyroid gland, resulting in reduced iodine-containing hormone production and finally in hypothyroidism. I hope that helps!

One thing I would want more info on is whether the research is based on soy isolates like isoflavones that are in products apart from whole soy (all the rest of the components in soybeans) or whether they studied people who consume whole soy like edamame and tempeh and such.

As it is, I'm on levothyroxine also and avoid chunks of soy (tofu, soy milk, etc) because it messes with my reproductive hormones (PMS big time even when it's not the 'regular' PMS time).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

crunning13 wrote:

One thing I would want more info on is whether the research is based on soy isolates like isoflavones that are in products apart from whole soy (all the rest of the components in soybeans) or whether they studied people who consume whole soy like edamame and tempeh and such.

As it is, I'm on levothyroxine also and avoid chunks of soy (tofu, soy milk, etc) because it messes with my reproductive hormones (PMS big time even when it's not the 'regular' PMS time).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

crunning13 wrote:

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 334 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org