21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Washing Quinoa?
Created on: 06/16/12 04:01 PM Views: 1930 Replies: 4
Washing Quinoa?
Posted Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Recently bought quinoa from a bulk food section of the grocery store. Must have purchased it packaged before or prior recipes didn't mention washing but the recipe I made said to "wash and dry" the quinoa. The strainers I have weren't fine enough for quinoa and I went ahead and made the recipe, which was good. I read that bulk quinoa needs to be washed - in hindsight, maybe I could have put a coffee filter in the strainer. If you wash quinoa, how do you do it? "And dry?"

Deborah

RE: Washing Quinoa?
Posted Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I believe quinoa has a bitter outer shell and this is the reason to wash it, I've never dried it. I have a fine strainer that put the quinoa in and run it for several minutes under the tap. I do not dry it though.

Posted Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM

When I buy bulk quinoa I wash it, but I don't dry it. Maybe if I weren't going to cook it right away, but I'm going to put it in water to cook, what's the point of drying it? I have a metal mesh strainer and rinse it well.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

There is a "coating" on quinoa called saponin that some people find bitter. I personally cannot taste it. However, I often wash my bulk foods anyway including beans, rice, etc., and I do quinoa the same way - by swishing the pieces around in a pot and straining through a non-airtight lid. I lose a few in the process, but it's easy.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, June 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Thanks for the replies! The recipe was for pilaf and it said to toast the quinoa in a pan when you add spices. I guess that's why it said "wash and dry." I'll rinse it next time. I didn't find it bitter either, Susan. Very Happy

Deborah

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 212 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org