21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Daily Servings of 4 Food Groups
Created on: 01/19/12 02:46 PM Views: 1391 Replies: 6
Daily Servings of 4 Food Groups
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I started the 21 day "kickstart" a week before. Therefore, I have been vegan for almost 4 weeks. My energy has tripled and I feel wonderful while having no cravings. However, I am still uncertain how many daily servings of fruit, veggies, grain and beans to have. I am afraid I may be eating either too much or too little of one food group. Additionally, what constitutes a "serving"? 1/2 c or 1 c, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Razz

Eileen Midman

RE: Daily Servings of 4 Food Groups
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I would like to tell you the best advise I have heard on this question, especially since I have heard it several places, from different reputable sources, including here.

If you are avoiding animal products, processed and refined food and fat, you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE of the four food groups you mention. There is no need to measure servings. You do need to pay attention to a balance which includes all four groups, but if you emphasize one or two groups for a few days, and another for the following few days because that is just how your tastes have been, you will be fine.

This only works if you are on a plant based, whole foods, low fat routine. You just can't eat too much, isn't that wonderful! Beware of even "moderate use of" processed foods, refined white things of all sorts and overdoing the fats. This includes cups and cups of nuts or processed "vegan" foods.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM

ehmidman wrote:

I started the 21 day "kickstart" a week before. Therefore, I have been vegan for almost 4 weeks. My energy has tripled and I feel wonderful while having no cravings. However, I am still uncertain how many daily servings of fruit, veggies, grain and beans to have. I am afraid I may be eating either too much or too little of one food group. Additionally, what constitutes a "serving"? 1/2 c or 1 c, etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Razz

Eileen Midman

From the Resources section:
http://www.nutritionmd.org/makeover/basics/four_foods.html

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Thank you for your response. I am eating only whole foods and vegetable, along with grains and beans. I've been concerned that I'm eating too much of each food group. I appreciate your response.

Eileen Very Happy

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

ehmidman wrote:

Eileen Midman

Hi Eileen,

Excellent responses from Madeline and Deb! Thanks you guys.

As time goes on, it just gets easier and you will become comfortable about not being concerned with portions and servings.

For example, a typical day for me looks like this. I like to keep it really simple and am happy to share with you what I do. Breakfast is a big bowl of steamy whole grain cereal with some fruit and flaxseed. Lunch is a big bowl of veggie and lentil or bean soup, or a big salad, with a sandwich of veggies and often hummus on some good grainy bread. For dinner, I pile have my plate with whole grains or potatoes, winter squash, or sweet potatoes and the other half with steamed or steam-fried veggies. I’ll often create some kind of simple sauce, or toss some beans on the top. If we didn’t have a salad for lunch, we’ll have it at dinner. During the course of the day I’ll eat raw veggies, a piece of fruit or two, cold baked taters, a bowl of brown rice and salsa, a chunk of grainy bread – just to give you an idea.

Cheers!
Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for the tips Lani. I don't know why I've waited so long to go completely vegan. My food preferences have always been veggies and fruits and grains and now legumes. I have never felt this good in my life. I guess I should simply not worry about how many servings and just continue eating all these good foods.
Eileen Razz

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

ehmidman wrote:

Thanks for the tips Lani. I don't know why I've waited so long to go completely vegan. My food preferences have always been veggies and fruits and grains and now legumes. I have never felt this good in my life. I guess I should simply not worry about how many servings and just continue eating all these good foods.
Eileen Razz

Eileen, everyone is different and easing in with measures and servings can be an assistance - it can be very anxiety producing to just take off on all of it with abandon. Sometimes smaller changes that build into bigger ones can be a good idea. I encourage you all and either way.

So glad you've found a match with your preference and ideals!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 344 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: BingoBlitzCheats

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org