21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Vitamin D deficiency
Created on: 01/19/12 03:33 PM Views: 753 Replies: 3
Vitamin D deficiency
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Just had full blood work up done. Everything seems normal with exception of Vit D. Came in at a 19 when the range was 25-80. Accessed the results from drs online care system. Have not heard from Dr but when I do, based on what I've read, there might be a prescription supplement in my future. Not really down with that.....
I'm sure this has existed well before day 18 of kickstart. I'm not opposed to a vitamin during winter but beyond that would like to address naturally, through food and diet. I am outside daily, rain or shine, ice or snow with my dogs.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to increase levels naturally?
Thanks

RE: Vitamin D deficiency
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I have read that anyone who lives north of Atlanta likely needs a Vitamin D supplement. It's not just the amount of time you spend in the sun, but the angle of the sun's rays where you live. I live in Florida, but don't spend time outdoors on a regular basis. My vitamin D, without supplements, is just barely in the acceptable range.

B12 is another supplement that we need more of as we get older. The older we get, the less efficient our body is at absorbing B12, meaning we need to supplement.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You can obtain vitamin D from mushrooms, too. The RDA of vitamin D is 600 IU. The vitamin D in a serving of mushrooms range from 3 IU for crimini mushrooms, to 129 IU for dried shiitake, to 943 IU for maitake mushrooms.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Prescription supplement? Maybe i'm out to left field, but vitamin supplementation is safe and done by millions and does not require a prescription.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 373 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org