21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Energy Levels During Exercise
Created on: 09/24/12 07:17 AM Views: 635 Replies: 4
Energy Levels During Exercise
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM

So far I have completed 14 days on the diet. I fell great and lost 12 lbs. Before I started the diet I would run around 10 to 15 miles in the morning. I ran this Saturday and Sunday for about 8 miles. I did not have any pains in the body. I just did not have the energy to go the longer distance. Please give me some ideas on what types of food I should eat the day before I run. Also, what type of food I should eat before I run in mornings.

RE: Energy Levels During Exercise
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

What people eat immediately before a run depends greatly on how comfortable a person is running while digesting. Some can handle it great; some find it quite difficult. The day before a long run, you definitely want to fill up your glycogen stores. This is easily done with carbs/starches such as pasta and potatoes.

As for the day of...

If you plan on exercising for more than 90 minutes, you should ideally fuel-up on a low-fat, carb source about three to four hours before you start. Don't overdo the fiber with this pre-endurance snack—your gut may not like running while processing the plant roughage! Some ideas include toast, pasta, a banana, and potatoes.

For the endurance run (running more than 90 minutes), you should have a snack within 30 minutes of finishing. Good postrun snacks should be mostly carbohydrates with some protein. Whole grains and legumes make ideal choices for a perfect carb to protein ratio (2:1 ratio for low-intensity and 3:1 ratio for high-intensity postworkouts).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

juanlg54 wrote:

So far I have completed 14 days on the diet. I fell great and lost 12 lbs. Before I started the diet I would run around 10 to 15 miles in the morning. I ran this Saturday and Sunday for about 8 miles. I did not have any pains in the body. I just did not have the energy to go the longer distance. Please give me some ideas on what types of food I should eat the day before I run. Also, what type of food I should eat before I run in mornings.

Juan,

Excellent advice as always from Susan! I'd like to underscore the importance of eating something in the morning before you go out on your run. If you go out and run on empty, you can quickly deplete your glycogen stores and when your tank is empty, your tank is empty. You didn't mention whether you ate before your run or not. Even fruit and toast - something light - will make a difference. Here's more:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/exercise/readers-ask-does-working-out-before-breakfast-burn-more-fat-muscle-or-hurt-my-workout/

And overall, be sure you are eating enough calories - it sounds like taking a look at that may help, if you find you are tanking on your runs.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Before I run in the mornings I just drink 2 glasses of water or gatorade to make sure I am hydrated. I also eat the Sports Beans during my runs. I do not eat anything before my runs. I will try out your suggestions this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I do things a little differently. If it's a morning workout, I either eat breakfast (oatmeal) and wait a couple of hours before starting, or eat nothing and head straight out, refueling afterwards. I have found that consistently eating a starch based diet means I always have a couple hours of fuel on board, so I don't need to eat before training. I also train at a low heart rate, so I have trained my body to more efficiently burn fat as a fuel. If a workout will last less than two hours, I take nothing except maybe water. I time my workouts so that they finish within an hour or so of a real meal, usually lunch or dinner. And I know exactly what it feels like "to run the tank empty". I've done it in races where all I wanted to do was curl up on the side of the trail and die. But it usually takes four or five hours to reach that point. Not recommended, but a good learning experience.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 295 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org