21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Multivitamins
Created on: 01/01/13 04:51 PM Views: 574 Replies: 2
Multivitamins
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

From what I understand if you eat a whole food plant based diet with adequate variety there is no need for a multivitamin beyond B12 or Vitamin D. While it is my goal to eat that way I am not perfect and I'm anticipating the transition period will take awhile. It will be a challenge to go from never eating leafy greens besides spinach to consuming them daily. Also things like nutritional yeast, sea vegetables and soy is something that is new to us as well. I'll get there but I believe in baby steps. I have a 3.5 year old who eats well but I'm sure she we will face a transition period too especially with leafy greens. So in the meantime, I was thinking a multivitamin may be smart. What do people think of Dr. Joel Furhman's multivitamins for adults and his pixi vites? I can't seem to find any reliable reviews for them.

After I feel we are eating a balanced diet daily I plan on phasing out the multivitamin and just taking vitamin B12 and Vitamin D since we live in an area where sun is rare.

RE: Multivitamins
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You are thinking correctly. Taking a multi until you get where you want to be is perfectly fine. I caution against "mega-dosing" on fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and especially minerals.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Multivitamins
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the vitamins I'm considering for myself, husband and 3 year old daughter and my son once he turns 1 year. None of them include folic acid or Vitamin A but they have the other fat soluble vitamins you mentioned. I'm wondering if you would consider any of this a 'mega dose'?

Children's Vitamin

E-10 IU
K-20 mcg

Adult Vitamin

K-30mg
D-2000 IU

Also, with respect to Omega 3's I was thinking of including 1TBSP of flax seeds daily to my diet and 1tsp to my daughter's. I'm hoping that this is sufficient and that the 1 TBSP of flax seeds won't hinder my desire for weight loss?

I appreciate the help.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 180 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org