21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: margarine and dairy-free butter?
Created on: 01/02/13 01:24 AM Views: 1663 Replies: 9
margarine and dairy-free butter?
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I'm still not clear on the major difference between butter and margarine..however i KNOW that butter clearly is dairy, is margarine dairy-free then?

Are there some good brands that are made with soya, coconut, almond, anything else that you'd recommend -

RE: margarine and dairy-free butter?
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Margarine is not dairy free. However there is an alternative called Earth balance that I use.
Also almond butter is amazing but sadly expensive.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I've used Earth Balance for quite a while. Comes in several varieties.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Earth Balance ( for butter), and Vegenaise ( for mayo ), are clearly the top choices for substitutes in terms of taste and recipe success, esp. by many top vegan chefs. I use these, although, very, very limited. Keep in mind that, while the ingredients are "better" and vegan, they are still very full-fat, and caloric. There are certainly some recipes out there, esp. for the mayo, that usually involve making from tofu, as with sour cream.( Toffuti, with the blue label, non-hydrogenated, makes a good one.) Again,these are oil-based foods,and processed, but good if you need them for transitioning. But as your taste changes, you will be amazed at how foods that you once thought had to have some butter, or sour cream, now can go without. Be creative, a tiny bit of almond butter, on sprouted grain toast is a treat!

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

oh, yes - i do rememeber hearing about Earth Balance! does it come in different varieties or flavour, which do you find best like with simple bread?

so otherwise it is assumed that any kind of butter or margarine WOULD have dairy...unless it is clearly labeled as non-dairy?

I'm allergic to almonds =( otherwise I would love to have almond butter! guess I can settle for jam/jelly, these are always vegan, right? =)

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

DianeJ wrote:

Keep in mind that, while the ingredients are "better" and vegan, they are still very full-fat, and caloric.

Again,these are oil-based foods,and processed.

I just wanted to re-emphasize what DianeJ has already said. Although they are an ok transition food, you are better off to phase these items out of your diet.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I LOVE Earth Balance! I usually just use the regular, though the whipped is tasty too (but less in a container). I don't prefer the taste of the soy free so it's not worth the slight increase in cost for me. I CANNOT say enough about how much I love it though! I won't touch any other dairy free butter substitutes.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

lovekittens wrote:

oh, yes - i do rememeber hearing about Earth Balance! does it come in different varieties or flavour, which do you find best like with simple bread?

so otherwise it is assumed that any kind of butter or margarine WOULD have dairy...unless it is clearly labeled as non-dairy?

I'm allergic to almonds =( otherwise I would love to have almond butter! guess I can settle for jam/jelly, these are always vegan, right? =)

Learning what to look for on the ingredients is important - a lot of faux things (like cheeses) still contain casein, which is a dairy based protein. Butter, by definition, is dairy. Margarine is typically partially hydrogenated oil(s) but may contain dairy/casein. Earth Balance and Smart Balance may or may not contain dairy (there are different varieties of these, read the label, especially with Smart Balance).
If you can't have almond butter but other nuts are okay, try cashew or peanut - but as always be cognizant of the fat content involved if weight loss is important to you.
Jams/Jellies are what you might call an 'edge' case. Jams/jellies that are made solely with fruit/fruit juice and no sugar (or chemical sweeteners), then yes, they are most likely vegan. However, white sugar is often processed (bleached white) by using bone char which is from animals, thus making it non-vegan. Some folks aren't as strict about those cases as others. But, you'd still want to be avoiding white (processed) sugars anyhow. Better to get preserves which are more likely to be just fruit, juice, and pectin. Jellies, in my experience, are the highest in added sugar content. Also, many commercial jams/jellies use HFCS and other such things, so read the labels and pick the one(s) that you are comfortable with the ingredients.
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Thank you for all of this information.
That's terrible that sugar of all things could be made from bones of animals...for the most part I try to choose the natural jams and nothing commercialized.

I also remember hearing some varieties, not all, of Smart Balance were also vegan.

Sometimes I just enjoy a slice or two of fresh toast with butter, so I want to make sure I can do the 'vegan' version of this! I also realize that so many breads contain milk, who on earth would think that! Mad

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I just checked to see what I had from the holidays- I shop at a large commissary which does not have all versions of everything but...the organic whipped Smart Balance in the tub is vegan, as are the Earth Balance sticks, the same as the original Earth Balance tub that is kind of a yellow color. I used these in holiday baking and on my table and no one knew that it was not butter. But again, they are OIL! Definitely not a "whole" food. Oh, almost forgot, I once tried the "soy-free" version and it was awful!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 141 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org