21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Question regarding fat
Created on: 01/02/13 07:05 AM Views: 4122 Replies: 24
RE: Question regarding fat
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Tracy wrote:

Dontx wrote:
Tracy, I have used the very low fat Esselstyn diet for almost 2 years. My blood work results are looking great. All - including protein- are right in the middle of the high and low ranges. I do not take any protein supplements.

That is amazing! You've turned your life around! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me. I need to trust the process.

I work out a lot too. Right now I am doing P90X. I'm 5'4" at 117 pounds. I don't want to lose weight at all, and I'm finding it a challenge to actually eat enough calories. With the weight lifting I am doing plus to not lose weight, I think I need around 1,700 daily. When I counted up my calories last night they were only 1,350. I was full and satisfied though.

I'm still reading Engine 2 and am picking up the book Thrive today. I am hoping to learn from top vegan athletes how to fuel my body with enough calories.

Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to helping others on this board and not just need help. I'm not usually so needy! lol Shocked

Tracy,

Sounds like you have lots of healthy practices going on - you go!

As for the calories, athletics with higher energy needs can usually afford to have more of the calorie-concentrated foods, including seeds and avocado, depending on other health issues of course. It can be a way to keep your calorie content from dipping too low, as of course can a generous hand at the starchies!

Plant-based fitness is a winning combination!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Dontx wrote:

Tracy, I'm adding weights to my cardio training. I Just googled the p90x it sounds intense. Is there any information on eliminating the supplements with a low fat vegan diet?

I don't know of any information out there, but I myself do not use the supplements. I do use the Vegan Shakeology (chocolate), but not everyday.

Tony Horton has a personal vegan chef Smile

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Tracy wrote:
Dontx wrote:
Tracy, I have used the very low fat Esselstyn diet for almost 2 years. My blood work results are looking great. All - including protein- are right in the middle of the high and low ranges. I do not take any protein supplements.

That is amazing! You've turned your life around! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me. I need to trust the process.

I work out a lot too. Right now I am doing P90X. I'm 5'4" at 117 pounds. I don't want to lose weight at all, and I'm finding it a challenge to actually eat enough calories. With the weight lifting I am doing plus to not lose weight, I think I need around 1,700 daily. When I counted up my calories last night they were only 1,350. I was full and satisfied though.

I'm still reading Engine 2 and am picking up the book Thrive today. I am hoping to learn from top vegan athletes how to fuel my body with enough calories.

Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to helping others on this board and not just need help. I'm not usually so needy! lol Shocked

Tracy,

Sounds like you have lots of healthy practices going on - you go!

As for the calories, athletics with higher energy needs can usually afford to have more of the calorie-concentrated foods, including seeds and avocado, depending on other health issues of course. It can be a way to keep your calorie content from dipping too low, as of course can a generous hand at the starchies!

Plant-based fitness is a winning combination!

Lani

facebook

Thank you, Lani Smile

I'm packing in more beans and legumes--I think that is what is going to help me keep my calories up. Since I am 45, I suspect that I have plaque in my arteries, so I am trying to eat as close to Esselstyn's diet as possible (though I can't yet let go of my app. 1 tsp of almond butter each morning, and I eat about 5-6 dark chocolate chips each day). I'm down to 115 now and I do not think I need to go down any farther. I'm eating constantly to try to get enough calories in! haha!

Day 19 on this eating plan and counting Very Happy

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Dontx; congrats to you for your success so far! Part of the problem with doctors and hospitals is that they don't know about Dr. Esselstyns program and they don't teach preventative medicine, just throw pills and procedures at you. They are rushed for time and just don't take the time for education. I am an RN and most of my patients don't know why they are on the meds they are on and some of them are on 10-20 different ones. When I am interviewing patients for surgery I do talk to them about nutrition, but most nurses don't and they're not veg so they wouldn't be teaching the important information anyway. You pretty much have to learn on your own and not count on your doctor or hospital to try to teach you.

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

txdoglover wrote:

Dontx; congrats to you for your success so far! Part of the problem with doctors and hospitals is that they don't know about Dr. Esselstyns program and they don't teach preventative medicine, just throw pills and procedures at you. They are rushed for time and just don't take the time for education. I am an RN and most of my patients don't know why they are on the meds they are on and some of them are on 10-20 different ones. When I am interviewing patients for surgery I do talk to them about nutrition, but most nurses don't and they're not veg so they wouldn't be teaching the important information anyway. You pretty much have to learn on your own and not count on your doctor or hospital to try to teach you.

You are absolutely right. Doctors tend to stick with the American Heart Assoc. which is moderation and moderation almost killed me.

I have sought and have spoken to 3 cardiologist/prevention doctors, too bad none are close by.

I found that when the Doctors that were interested in stopping and reversing Heart disease they always recommend the low fat plant based diet. The other Doctors (mine included) are excellent interventionist but not so much into prevention and nutrition.

I'm glad you are talking to your patients, it means a lot when a nurse or a doctor talks about nutrition. They will remember what you said, I know I hung on to every word. I know you would go out on a limb if you talk about eating no animal product and no added fats, but someday it will be as common as telling a patient to stop smoking.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 174 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org