21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Cooking All Day?
Created on: 01/02/13 09:34 AM Views: 5184 Replies: 31
RE: Cooking All Day?
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Pudgypumpkin wrote:

I still haven't gotten homemade hummus down yet but it is getting closer - who knew I would even be eating hummus let alone attempting to make it from scratch (I didn't know I should add a liquid so I ended up with bean glue.

The key to good hummus is to use HOT beans. The kickstart hummus recipe is yummy (we like the roasted red pepper variation best - I buy the jars of roasted red peppers in bulk at the big bulk stores like Sam's Club in the U.S. to save a little since we use them so often). We've also found a really nice (but pricey, so it's a treat) sundried tomato pesto that makes a nice change of pace hummus - and works great for a pizza topping! Sundried tomato pesto hummus with sliced olives, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers doesn't need cheese to be lush and yummy.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Keri wrote:

Thank you all for the information! I was freaking out a little. Very Happy

So how do you know if what you are eating is "healthy vegan"? Today I had oatmeal, frozen Indian food (vegan) meal, and I made a chili cornbread casserole. Oh and an apple for snack. Is that too much, too little? My goal is to eat healthy, lose weight (100lbs) and change my lifestyle.

FYI, so glad to have found all of you. So helpful!!

Are you full/satisfied? If so, that's enough. For now, the frozen food is probably okay, but check the ingredients carefully - they're often high in salt and preservatives and added fats (but there are always exceptions).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Jodie-

That kale salad sounds good. I usually make a kale/mango or kale/avacado salad. Kale is something I never ate before this way of eating.

PugdyPumpkin-

I had eaten hummus before (at Greek restaurants) but now make my own. I now make my own seitan, which I had never heard of before Kickstart. Many things were new to me, which I am so happy to have discovered!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Back-up plan ideas for those days if you run out of batch food and really have no time or energy left:

Breakfast: dry uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal in a bowl and mix in a little half-cup of unsweetened applesauce, maybe a little water and its delicious

Or use dry uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal with almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup; maybe some raisins

Lunch: spread hummus on 2 slices of bread, and put kale or other vegetables in the middle

And have a nice hot bowl of Tabatchkin vegetable soup(bought from freezer section of grocery store)

Dinner: Success brand 10-minute brown rice; and water stir-fry a pack of Asian Stir-Fry pre-cut vegetables(usually can be found near vegetables in the grocery store), or pre-cut broccoli and other vegetables. Drizzle tamari or soy sauce on top of the rice and vegetables, add some rinsed, canned beans if you wish.

Or use a bag of frozen vegetables for Easy Stir Fry- Kickstart recipe

Or Success brand 10-minute brown rice, some beans, and some salsa, mix together in a bowl if you wish

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

veganer wrote:

Back-up plan ideas for those days if you run out of batch food and really have no time or energy left:

Breakfast: dry uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal in a bowl and mix in a little half-cup of unsweetened applesauce, maybe a little water and its delicious

Or use dry uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal with almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup; maybe some raisins

Lunch: spread hummus on 2 slices of bread, and put kale or other vegetables in the middle

And have a nice hot bowl of Tabatchkin vegetable soup(bought from freezer section of grocery store)

Dinner: Success brand 10-minute brown rice; and water stir-fry a pack of Asian Stir-Fry pre-cut vegetables(usually can be found near vegetables in the grocery store), or pre-cut broccoli and other vegetables. Drizzle tamari or soy sauce on top of the rice and vegetables, add some rinsed, canned beans if you wish.

Or use a bag of frozen vegetables for Easy Stir Fry- Kickstart recipe

Or Success brand 10-minute brown rice, some beans, and some salsa, mix together in a bowl if you wish

Thanks this is what I'm looking for fast and easy

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Your welcome Penny. Thanks for letting me know it helps.

And...any fruit for between meals...also quick and easy.

And maybe if you are still hungry in the evening, eat a frozen cherry or 2, or frozen mangos, or really any other frozen fruit a little at a time to see if it is enough.

Edited 01/04/13 7:52 AM
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Keri wrote:

Lani,

I LOVE the idea of the soup! I do not have a pressure cooker and I just bought regular lentils - how do I adapt that? Keep in mind I am just learning how to cook!

Thank you!!

Lentils don't need a pressure cooker - the lentil package should indicate the ratio of liquid to lentils and cooking time. For a soup, use extra liquid - for example two cups water to 1 cup lentils would make 'normal' lentils (like for a side dish, similar use to rice), so for soup you might use 4 cups liquid (vegetable stock) to 1 cup lentils, give or take depending on how thick you want it.

That's one of the things we like about the Veganomicon cookbook - the recipes are not necessarily low fat but there's a whole chapter on how to cook various beans, legumes and grains.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/eastern-european-red-lentil-soup/ Is a favorite lentil recipe - one of our go-to winter soups. It's hearty and warming and bright colored for those gray icy winter evenings. We leave out the bay leaves (don't really like them much), skip the yogurt (it's a garnish, not essential for flavor) and you can do the initial saute with stock or water instead of oil to reduce the added fat. The spices are pretty easy to find/common - we use cumin a LOT.
With lentils, different types have different textures when cooked - red lentils tend to break down and get a thicker, almost creamier, texture while the other types of lentils tend to retain a bit more firmness. Which means you really can't do a one for one sub between red and other lentils without changing the texture of the result.

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Any time I've done an eating plan, I've never cooked all the different dishes the call for. I pick one thing each for breakfast, lunch & dinner & make a week's worth of that. I don't have time to cook every day, I do the batch cooking on Sunday thing. Also, I like having the same thing several days in a row, especially breakfast - similarity is comforting.

Also -- every breakfast suggestion/recipe anywhere (here, the E2 diet, Raw Revolution, etc) is always too sweet for me in the morning. I pick a lunch recipe out & make it, divide it into 5 containers & I've got breakfast for the week with no thought necessary. Right now I'm eating a quinoa, kale & broccoli thing I dreamed up. Not sweet at all, but yummy.

We have done the impossible & that makes us mighty - Firefly

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

veganer wrote:

And maybe if you are still hungry in the evening, eat a frozen cherry or 2, or frozen mangos, or really any other frozen fruit a little at a time to see if it is enough.

I LOVE frozen grapes. One of my favorite treats.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I was at the same place as you Keri, stay at home mom and felt very overwhelmed when I did my first kickstart.
I think you got some great advice in this thread.
I do think getting familiar with the menus will really help you out...this is my 3rd kickstart and just knowing the foods and herbs etc makes it a lot easier to get the recipes done quicker than when I first started this.
I lost an amazing amount of wieght the first 21 days I did this last year and I think if you stick to this and see the dramatic things it does for your body it will really motivate you to stay vegan throughout this year.
The second week into it you will notice your hair is shinier, nails longer and stronger and your skin will glow. Your energy level will increase too and you will sleep better.
It's amazing what it does to your confidence when you start seeing the results of eating really heathly.
I saw in this thread where someone was talking about the cost.
I found that buying my spices at dollar stores, discount grocery stores-small spanish and oriental shops was much better priced than name food stores.
And if you have a farmers market, the prices are amazing.
Even in my small town I found an organic farm which lets you pick your own fruits and veggies for less than a months grocery trip.
Just keep an eye out for bargains and it can be very cost affective.
I know when I ate badly, my grocery bill was much higher, bagged and processed foods, meat, etc...made it much more expensive.
Take care and good luck.

Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but I am SOOOO happy I found it! I have been creating my own recipes for this past week, along with committing some transgressions. Unfortunately, I have not lost weight, but I guessI should not be surprised. I did not follow the meal plan, because the shopping and the preparing appeared to be so time consuming, as people have said,

Now that I have read the wonderful suggestions in these postings, I really feel that I can do this. I had thought of the meal plan as requiring an all-or-nothing approach--now I see that that is not the case. I feel much less discouraged now.

Thank you so much, everyone!

Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

This thread has been so helpful to me. I used to make beans in a crockpot overnight, enough for a week. But since reading this I cook up a lot more beans in the crockpot, put them in baggies, flatten them, and freeze them and have enough for 3-4 weeks so I don't have to cook them again for weeks instead of every weekend. This has been great. I cook multiple potatoes at the same time and that works out well too. I have been cutting up all the vegetables on the weekend too. Thanks to all who wrote these wonderful suggestions.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 416 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: thaiworthy

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org