21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Help. I am gaining weight
Created on: 01/20/12 11:54 AM Views: 1597 Replies: 6
Help. I am gaining weight
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I'm following the vegan kickstart as well as the Daniel Fast, both 21 days. The Daniel Fast is a bit more restrictive than a normal vegan diet as you must avoid bread, yeast, all sweeteners other than dried fruit, all white flour, white rice, artificial chemicals, and can only drink water.

I've been eating a lot of rice and beans, lentils, fresh fruit, and fruit smoothies, hummus, and some TVP and soy meats.

The transition has actually not been that difficult for me save one major problem: I have gained weight rapidly. Like my clothes are on the edge of not fitting rapidly in two weeks. My mother asked me if my face was swollen the other day. I also feel a bit foggier than normal.

I don't understand what's going on. I have been checking my fasting blood glucose and it is 98 mg/dl. I also take a multi-vitamin.

Any clues about what I'm doing wrong? I want to finish, but I'm getting scared.

RE: Help. I am gaining weight
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I don't know anything about the fast you are on, and wonder if you should be doing both?

That type of gain/rentention etc doesn't sound right to me. Are you eating anything new that you don't normally? Transitional products? Are you eliminating appropriately? For myself, if I didn't wish to see someone about this, I would back down to brown rice and vegetables with filtered water only for a few days and see if my system calms down.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Ocean dog.

The Daniel Fast is essentially the same as the kickstart. Completely vegan with no added sugars, white flour, or yeast. Goes for 21 days. You'd think with those added restrictions that I'd lose weight, but I'm gaining. I've been tested for food allergies and have none.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM

If you are not consuming a lot of fatty foods - avocado, nuts, nutbutters, seeds, olives, tofu, etc... - then a weight gain just seems off to me. Especially with a puffy face. Are you drinking enough fluids to flush everything out?

Hopefully Susan will monitor this and comment.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

What jumps out to me is the soy meats - (a) they tend to have a lot of sodium which can lead to water retention (b) for some folks - and I'm one - soy in that quantity can lead to PMS-like symptoms, which can include water retention and puffiness. I don't know if you've ever eaten much soy before (faux meats, edamame, tofu, etc) so this may not be related, but it might be.

So, that would be the first thing I dropped - at the same time, I'd be making sure to get LOTS of water into my system. And, I'd make sure I got moving - walking, bicycling, skating, skiing, whatever - to help pump the fluids around and out.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. It was rather amazing to me. It was like weight jumped on me in a week. I'm not eating much fat as we try to avoid oils as well. I will keep an eye on the soy. It seems like soy is in everything! But, to my knowledge, I have only had tofu twice and TVP 3-4 times that I can remember.

I will up my water intake and I am going to try to stop eating earlier in the evening as well. My digestion seems to have slowed. I keep waking up still feeling full despite not having eaten after 8pm most of the time.

Do you think I should cut out fruits? This 98 fasting blood glucose has me concerned as well. I know it is still in the normal range, but my usual is in the 80s.

I read Dr. Barnard's book and he said that one might see increases at first, but I don't recall him saying how severe they would be or how long it would last.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

What got my attention was not the gain so much as that it seemed to be liquid, water weight gain and puffiness, rather than more solid weight. Of course, if you've upped the fiber and not the liquid to clear it through, then the fiber is holding onto water and hanging around instead of passing on through.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 276 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org