21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Coffee?
Created on: 01/02/13 12:14 PM Views: 685 Replies: 2
Coffee?
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering if you are still drinking coffee? I get so confused...some folks say coffee is good for you... others claim it is 'of the devil' Very Happy . I'm interested in hearing what you all are doing or thinking about coffee.

I usually have 2 cups (16 oz) with soy creamer in the morning.

Thanks!!!

RE: Coffee?
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I don't drink coffee - it isn't "evil" or anything but it can do weird things to blood glucose levels and as a diabetic I have to watch that. Also, if weight loss is part of one's goal, then adding the extra couple of calories from each cup of coffee (when adding any kind of creamer) will affect things. Years ago, my dad's doctor advised him to lose weight. They went over his daily intake and he was having 4 to 6 cups of coffee with cream/milk and sugar per day. He switched to black coffee and lost quite a bit of weight from that ONE thing.

Plus, caffeine acts as a diuretic for most people so it can affect hydration levels. When I used to drink coffee/caffeinated teas, my rule of thumb was a full mug of water for every mug of caffeinated beverage.

Now, I just drink bengal spice herbal tea (has warm spices like cinnamon plus a kick of black pepper as a wake-me-up) most of the time, with occasional forays into chamomile (except before long meetings - don't want to nod off!) If I have a very-rare cup of hot cocoa (that's a whole other discussion), then I try to have TWO mugs of water or herbal tea to offset it a bit.

--DebR

RE: Coffee?
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This comes up every kickstart...and yes, I still drink coffee with no plans to give it up. I do not use sugar, and use only a little of the coconut-milk-based,plain creamer by Silk. I do not think that being addicted to anything is particularly good, and certainly would not start drinking coffee for the "health" effects....but I love it, and look forward to my coffee every morning,and seem to suffer no ill effects from it.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 229 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org