21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: 100% vegan for 20 days w/o weight loss :(
Created on: 01/20/12 02:06 PM Views: 1564 Replies: 4
100% vegan for 20 days w/o weight loss :(
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I am so proud of myself. I had been vegetarian for about a year, but finally stopped eating anything with a face or a mother for 20 days now. I ended the toast with loads of butter, eggs, cheese and cooking with any oil, no sugars - or added sugars, and have increased my fluids. I also have started walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes 3 times a week that is on an incline.
I cannot believe I am not losing weight!! Sad
I know that the fact that I am 50 may contribute but with such a radical diet change, there should be some evidence of my efforts. Surprised

Edited 01/20/12 2:11 PM
RE: 100% vegan for 20 days w/o weight loss :(
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I'm proud of you too! You will lose weight if you need to. It will happen, especially with the no oils and no dairy products change in your diet. Watch for any other sneaky fats, especially in processed foods. And be patient, I'm guessing with your exercise regimen you don't have a lot of weight to lose, so it's going to be a slow but permanent process.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You have done wonderfully!!! Increased exercise and elimination of unhealthy foods ~ you gave your body a wonderful present! Christmas in January for your body.

I especially know how easy it is to get caught up in the weight aspect, but be kind to your emotions and mind (you have been to your body) and let that go for now, knowing you are doing the best for your body, let it adjust, grow muscle, eliminate toxins and gain health. This should be a mental hug to yourself with the knowledge of positive change! Hooray for you!

Best wishes
Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words. It is true I feel really fabulous and notice when I eat, even when it's a big serving, that since it is so good for me that I don't feel stuffed. I'd like to lose 30 pounds which has been slowly creeping up for the past 5 years.

I will increase the amount of exercise as I feel my stamina improving. I have a crazy schedule and with recently separating from my husband, somedays I am just depressed. Again, thank you.....I shall press on.

Posted Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Abbygirl40 wrote:

I am so proud of myself. I had been vegetarian for about a year, but finally stopped eating anything with a face or a mother for 20 days now. I ended the toast with loads of butter, eggs, cheese and cooking with any oil, no sugars - or added sugars, and have increased my fluids. I also have started walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes 3 times a week that is on an incline.
I cannot believe I am not losing weight!! Sad
I know that the fact that I am 50 may contribute but with such a radical diet change, there should be some evidence of my efforts. Surprised

Hey Abbygirl! You've already gotten some great advice.

At the same time, this question comes up on occasion and some people experience a gain at first which is usually easily explained -and then the weight loss comes when you persist.

I put together an article that may help you too. It is actually a collection of responses I've posted in the 21-day kickstart on several occasions and decided it was a good idea to have in one place for easy reference as I'm often searching it out here in the forums.

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 279 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: tphonhna

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org