New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vegan HealthFest in Texas
Created on: 01/02/13 03:34 PM Views: 2217 Replies: 10
Vegan HealthFest in Texas
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Marshall, Texas
January 11-13

http://gethealthymarshall.com

More incentive, and goes right along with the 21 day kickstart. The restaurants in town will have special vegan options, and there is an included 5K run/walk on Sunday.
I'll really be watching the Chefs for more ideas.
Anyone else plan on going?

Speakers:
T. Colin Campbell - The China Study
Lindsay Nixon - The Happy Herbivore
Dr. Michael Greger - NutritionFacts.org
Julieanna Hever RD - The Plant Based Dietitian
Dr. Milton Mills MD - PCRM
Chef AJ- Unprocessed
Victoria Moran - Mainstreet Vegan
Gene Baur - Farm Sanctuary
John Pierre - Hollywood fitness guru
Robert Cheeke - Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness
Chef Del Sroufe - Forks Over Knives cookbook author
Kerrie Saunders PhD - Author & Lecturer
Ellen Jaffe Jones - Eat Vegan on $4 A Day

RE: Vegan HealthFest in Texas
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Fantastic line up!! Sounds wonderful!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Great! The speakers sound amazing! I'm not in Texas but I wish I would be for that weekend. Glad that the HealthFest is going on in a state known for its beef Smile

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I am in Texas (not a native) but a few hours away from Marshall so not do-able this weekend. It looks like a great weekend. You'd be surprised at how many Vegetarian/Vegan restaurants there are in some cities in Texas, Houston and Austin especially. Houston is an international melting pot, so there are many kinds of food, which makes it easier eating out and also finding foods on the plan. The smaller towns are not that way, I know, but a trip into the "big city" is a good time to stock up.

I live in the suburbs but someone raises Longhorn across from our neighborhood. It's fun seeing the calves but I don't like to think about what they're probably raising them for.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

deborahjm wrote:

I am in Texas (not a native) but a few hours away from Marshall so not do-able this weekend.

deborahjm, you are in luck, the HealthFest is not till next weekend: January 11th, 12th, and 13th.

Edited 01/03/13 7:50 PM
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I have not been to TX, but that sounds wonderful,LOTS of great speakers!!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

deborahjm, you are in luck, the HealthFest is not till next weekend: January 11th, 12th, and 13th

Hmmm, I'd like to attend but just can't leave on weekends easily. Will have to wait for something like that to be in my vicinity. You'll have to fill us in.

Edited 01/04/13 3:06 PM
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I was wondering how a small Texas town could get these great speakers. I'm still investigating but it looks like they have a unique little town that figured the connection between health and diet a few years back and really got involved.

This town is the opposite of my area where meat and fat in everything rules and ruins the meals.

Below is a quote I found about Marshall TX getting healthy.

"Get Healthy Marshall formed in July 2011 to promote and inform people about the benefits of plant-based eating. Not merely vegetarian, the diet also excludes poultry, fish and dairy products as inefficient or even destructive sources of protein and nutrients.

Mayor Smith had informally convened the planning meeting by asking if anyone wanted jalapeño peppers with their veggie sandwich.
“I think this is going to be fun and exciting,” the mayor said, “and a great way to start off the new year.”"

http://www.news-journal.com/features/entertainment/here-s-to-a-new-year-new-you/article_7cd976fe-db02-5234-a812-4d269621d56a.html

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Ok, Don.... waiting for a report on the Vegfest in Marshall. Very Happy

Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

deborahjm wrote:

Ok, Don.... waiting for a report on the Vegfest in Marshall. Very Happy

Just got back home - 5 hour drive.

It was Wonderful!

There were over 300 people from 23 states.

Marshall TX is so small that when the news comes on they don't even show Marshall on the weather map.

The answer to the question I had was answered:

How did Marshall Tx get these Great speakers?

Their mayor is the only Vegan mayor in Texas and members of the town had planed this for a year. The speakers were there to show their support.

The people attending really felt like the VIPs of the town instead of a small minority.

Special Vegan meals were prepared and restaurants were open on Sunday to accommodate the Plant Based appetites in town.

There were cooking classes, lectures and exercise class going on all three days. The locations were just blocks apart in their downtown area. As far as I could tell we were the only downtown crowd this weekend and we overwhelmed them.

I learned a lot even how to tweak my diet better. All the speakers had plenty time for individual questions, pictures and book signing. I did the 2 boot camps, spinning class, and yoga (by accident). I heard the Zumba exercise class was really good too.

The cooking classed were held on the 3rd floor of a turn of the century building and the restaurant downstairs served vegan buffets.

I ran the 5K Sunday Morning and came in 8th overall. I was amazed I did not place in my age group. In the small Towns around here I always place. But in Marshall I was racing against like Vegans.
Of the first 9 finishers 7 were Males OVER 50! - This says something about the nutrition. I was at a 7min45sec pace and was passed at mile one, the winning time was 19 minutes for the 3.1 miles.

For the people that signed up for the included 5K fun run they had the best T-shirt I have ever received!!!!!
On the front is a tractor with the words
"Get Healthy"
"5K Fun Run"

We met a lot of good people and made new friends.

Marshall is planning to do another one next year. I plan on going again - I just need to get faster for that 5K.

(I'll try to post more on the lectures tomorrow.)

Edited 01/14/13 6:07 PM
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sounds like a great weekend. Hopefully, something like that come here sometime soon.

Congrats on your 5K finish! You must have gone revved up from all the info, healthy food and exercise.

Deborah

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 225 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org