21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Daily Calorie Count
Created on: 01/02/13 04:17 PM Views: 1563 Replies: 8
Daily Calorie Count
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Is there a daily calorie count we should be shooting for if weight loss is our goal? I did the math for the day 7 meals and come up with a total of around 645 calories, is this correct?

RE: Daily Calorie Count
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We have found that calorie counting is not required, thankfully. If you eat a healthful diet as we are prescribing here, full of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains, while minimizing added fats, you will not need to count calories. The calculation is built-in: fiber goes up and calories go down (nutrients also happen to increase as well!).

Our weight loss trials have found this works naturally and in a way that is sustainable. You just eat! The health benefits will follow your healthy food choices, including weight loss if needed.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Thanks for the info Susan. The total number of calories scares me with it being what appears to be so low. Thanks again.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Thanks for the info Susan. The total number of calories scares me with it being what appears to be so low. Thanks again.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

You may be calculating one serving from each recipe for the day's menu. We suggest you eat until satisfied, so as many servings as you need.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Veganhopeful wrote:

That depends on how much of what you eat - if you're still hungry, eat more. Have extras of the soup or a slice of whole grain toast or sprinkle a little good granola (check the ingredients, a lot of store bought granolas hide lots of fat and sugar in the guise of 'healthy') on top of your oatmeal for a bit of crunch. For example, Day 2 says "cereal, plant milk, banana, berries" but doesn't specify the type of cereal nor the quantity. Eat what satisfies your need (which is different than me, different than my hubby, different than my 14 yr old son) Lunch says a wrap and soup - maybe add whole grain crackers or a side salad or a piece of fruit. Dinner "moroccan bean stew" with a 'side' of couscous - again, it doesn't say how much of each to have (although it does say to save some couscous for another meal). And so on. The recipes show nutrition information based on a given portion - they have to, or there's no valid measurement. Doesn't mean you are limited to that portion size, just that "for each cup of X you eat, there are Y calories" - but you can eat X or 2X or 4X portions to fit your own needs (do you sit at a desk all day like I do? are you looking to lose weight? gain weight? don't care about weight? do you run 5 miles per day? lift weights for an hour? chase a toddler 24/7?)

DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

oops

Edited 01/03/13 2:11 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I followed yesterday's menu, with a couple of minor modifications, and had a calorie count of 1,100 calories for the day.

I'm trying the 21 day kickstart to try and get my portions under control, following the suggested portions and only eating the one afternoon snack.

I've been following a low-fat, whole food, vegan diet for over a year now and my weight loss has slowed down. I only lost 3 pounds in November and nothing in December. I still have another 40 pounds to lose.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

For those whose weight loss has slowed, I suggest eating more greens (raw and cooked) and beans.

Beans contain a lot of resistant starch which means that all of their calories are not absorbed.

Try a bean burger on top of a bed of greens instead of a bun - you can even have soup on top of greens instead of eating crackers with it. The calorie density of your meals will be lower and the weight loss will usually take off again.

Not everyone needs this approach, but if you were losing and stopped, tweaking like this has helped many other people.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 208 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org