21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Why So Hungry
Created on: 09/25/12 08:50 AM Views: 1422 Replies: 7
Why So Hungry
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have been doing the vegan diet. I feel like I'm eating plenty....allot actually! So why am I so hungry? Do I really need to eat more?? Or am I just obsessed with food now? Confused

RE: Why So Hungry
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If you feel hungry and you are losing weight that you don't need to be losing, then yes, you should eat more. Otherwise, if you really feel hungry, as opposed to just thinking about food, then you may need to spread out your meals and snacks throughout the day. And be sure to eat breakfast with lots of fiber.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Also, remember to drink lots of water, and to think, every time you feel "hunger" if you may not be thirsty. Apparently many people confuse thirst with hunger... it is worth a try!

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

danielle wrote:

I have been doing the vegan diet. I feel like I'm eating plenty....allot actually! So why am I so hungry? Do I really need to eat more?? Or am I just obsessed with food now? Confused

Hey Danielle,

In addition to the supportive comments you've already received, I want to point out that also many people are surprised at the amount of food you get to eat - and must eat - when eating wflfpb. As Susan suggests, sometimes eating more often through the day can be a help. I know sometimes I'll eat 3 times in a day, sometimes 7 or 8! And her suggestion for a robust breakfast is spot on - often we subconsciously hold back, but go for the gusto on your oatmeal and fruit and you might be surprised.

Also make yourself a pot of lentil soup, which really stick to your ribs and gives you oodles of nutrition. There are great soup recipes right here in the Kickstart. Here's a short video of my simple soup recipe too, if you like:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/recipes/my-simple-soup-trick-to-up-your-veggie-count-and-get-your-skinny-on-video/

Enjoy what you eat!
Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM

What are you eating a lot of now? If it's lots of fruits and veggies, that's great BUT it's not necessarily as filling as something like oatmeal. Be sure to have a balance of grains, greens, and proteins. If you're unsure of what a 'balance' looks like, check out the "Power Plate" somewhere around here (check the Resources section maybe).

Also, if you're eating a lot of greens and cooked grains and such, you might simply be missing the crunchy/chewy textures - your jaw muscles are 'hungry' for activity. Make sure you've got some crunchies in there as well (raw fruits and veggies, whole grain crackers, popcorn, corn tortilla chips - look for baked chips, lower fat).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Hey Danielle,

In addition to the supportive comments you've already received, I want to point out that also many people are surprised at the amount of food you get to eat - and must eat - when eating wflfpb. As Susan suggests, sometimes eating more often through the day can be a help. I know sometimes I'll eat 3 times in a day, sometimes 7 or 8! And her suggestion for a robust breakfast is spot on - often we subconsciously hold back, but go for the gusto on your oatmeal and fruit and you might be surprised.
Enjoy what you eat!
Lani

A friend of mine used as a rule of thumb eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon, and a pauper at dinner. A big breakfast (she usually had juice of some sort, toast with jam and/or peanut butter, and a bowl of oatmeal or millet). Lunch was a salad of some sort plus soup and multi grain bread or sandwich. Dinner was usually fairly light - a small bowl of whole grain pasta with tomato sauce, for example, or rice and veggies - really simple stuff. Very different than the standard (toast and coffee in the morning, sandwich for lunch, huge dinner). She also included fruit, veg, hummus and crackers, etc as snacks mid morning and mid afternoon and maybe air popped popcorn as an evening snack if she was still hungry.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

A friend of mine used as a rule of thumb eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon, and a pauper at dinner. A big breakfast (she usually had juice of some sort, toast with jam and/or peanut butter, and a bowl of oatmeal or millet). Lunch was a salad of some sort plus soup and multi grain bread or sandwich. Dinner was usually fairly light - a small bowl of whole grain pasta with tomato sauce, for example, or rice and veggies - really simple stuff. Very different than the standard (toast and coffee in the morning, sandwich for lunch, huge dinner). She also included fruit, veg, hummus and crackers, etc as snacks mid morning and mid afternoon and maybe air popped popcorn as an evening snack if she was still hungry.

--DebR

Great advice DebR - and I think that originated with Adele Davis - remember her work? Full of animal foods and too much protein, but her 'king, queen, pauper' advice stands strong!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Thanks all for the great advice! I greatly appreciate each of you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 210 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org