21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Lost weight ... and then stalled
Created on: 04/29/12 08:24 AM Views: 1049 Replies: 4
Lost weight ... and then stalled
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Sorry, I have been about 7 days behind the April kickstarters (just heard about it a week or so after the actual start!). I am 15 days in and through the first 10 days I lost 11 pounds — I was shocked. I was 5-10, 191 pounds. But I have since stalled at 180 pounds. I have noticed that my appetite has shrank and I am struggling just to get to 1500 calories, most days I am coming in at 1400 or so. Did my metabolism slow? Should I be forcing myself to eat to at least 1500 calories? Or was that original pace just way outside the norm and I maybe hit a cap for what I can attain in three weeks? I have stuck with the diet, I have done my own variation, just because I work most days I am working for 12 or 14 hours, but have stuck to whole grains, nothing processed, nothing with added sugar, et cetera. Just curious, obviously my expectations were for about 10 pounds loss over three weeks, so I think I just became a little unrealistic when somehow 169 pounds seemed attainable!

RE: Lost weight ... and then stalled
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Also, I do ride my bike about 7 to 8 miles per day (for commuting purposes) and have added a few miles just to get some extra workout in...

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Or was that original pace just way outside the norm and I maybe hit a cap for what I can attain in three weeks?

Yeah, I should say losing about a pound a day is really out of the norm! Losing about a pound a week is more of a realistic norm for permanent, healthy weight loss. But if your diet changed a lot and you exercise quite a bit, I could see losing a pound a day for a short period, which you did. But definitely make sure you are eating until you are full and having snacks available when meal prep is not convenient.

If you stick to the plan, and eat until you are full (and you are right about not wanting to go too low on the calories), then you will lose at a much slower rate, but that's not a bad thing at all. And yes, you may have already lost your allotted amount for a couple of weeks! Again, not a bad thing. You don't have enough weight to lose to be dropping that kind of weight that fast.

Your body is surely quite pleased with the changes you are making. Congratulations!!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yes, losing that much that fast is wonderful but definitely outside the norm. One to two pounds per week is more typical. Once you lose an amount of weight (varies per person), it is common to reach kind of a plateau while your body resets itself a bit. Eating until you are satisfied is great because 'satisfied' will change over time to meet the needs of the new you.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Thanks so much for all the insights. Yes, it seems the rapid weight loss was more a testament to just how much fat I was consuming and how many calories I was over-consuming!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 500 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Martie

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org