21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Families with Young Children
Created on: 01/02/13 09:20 PM Views: 1120 Replies: 5
Families with Young Children
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I'm wondering if anyone doing the program has small children? I'm committed to following a low fat whole foods plant based diet. Right now my husband and I want to lose weight so that means limiting our consumption of things like nuts/nut butters, avocado, olives, dried fruit and tahini. I think I'll have a 'cheat' day once a week where I'm free to have some guacamole, nut butter, peanut sauce or a lara bar but for the most part I will be avoiding it other than 1tbsp ground flax seeds daily.

But I have a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old. I know that children need fat, especially toddlers under two. So my strategy is to give them full fat soy milk, nut/seed butters, dried fruit and homemade trail mixes.

I was thinking of making homemade hummus, one batch with tahini in it for my toddler and another without for my husband and I.

Any other strategies to ensure my kids get the appropriate calories and nutrients they need while I cook low fat meals for the family?

RE: Families with Young Children
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Diet, Children, and the Future by Dr. John McDougall

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Thank you for that link, much appreciated.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

One of our fav things that is kid friendly is making mac'n'not-cheese. It's on the menu about once or twice per month because it does use cashew butter which is higher in fat (and son is not a little one any more - he's 14 1/2 and likes quinoa and kale and such - whodathunkit? lol but that means we don't have to look for 'kid friendly' options quite as much). We cook a good whole grain pasta and some veggies (frozen veggies can get thrown into the same pot of boiling water with the pasta - similar cooking times in most cases, check package instructions, or steam things like fresh broccoli) and make the not-cheese sauce (recipe is searchable on the forums - it has been posted several times over the last couple of years). Drain pasta and veggies (mix them if they're not already mixed) and add the not-cheeze sauce. Colorful, tasty, kid-friendly. We'll also throw in some already cooked beans (just reheat until warmed) for an extra texture and protein kick. White beans "blend" well into the pasta and sauce, black beans and red beans add extra color, so go with whatever works for you.
--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That sounds really good I like the idea of throwing in frozen veggies like peas. Thanks!

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Bugsmom-- Thanks for the tip about throwing frozen veggies in with the pasta! What a smart time-saver! I'll be trying that one later today.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 56 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org