21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Better Late Than Never
Created on: 04/29/12 11:44 AM Views: 4496 Replies: 25
Better Late Than Never
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Seems like mainstream news is finally taking the message seriously. Never heard of WGME though. Is it a major tv channel ? :

http://www.wgme.com/news/top-stories/stories/wgme_vid_11663.shtml

Wash your back

RE: Better Late Than Never
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM

theodore wrote:

Seems like mainstream news is finally taking the message seriously. Never heard of WGME though. Is it a major tv channel ?

Hi T -

Seems this particular TV station is from Portland, Oregon. It isn't one we get here in BC. Great clip! Thanks for sharing! Smile

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Glad you enjoyed it, Mari. Great to hear from you.

T

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Theodore

What a great link! When that woman was cooking in the cast iron skillet it could have been something I make! I use a cast iron and that is the way I am cooking for my mom right now.

Mom also lost a leg, though she did not lose a breast, she did lose 1/3 of her right lung. I am so very hopeful that she didn't starting eating vegan too late... Confused

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 04/29/12 4:35 PM
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Great to hear from you, Ms Dog.

I pray that this diet helps your mother. I don't think it's ever too late to adopt a wholefood plant-based diet. Dean Ornish's recent study showed good results against cancer on this diet. Colin Campbell Phd also teaches that this diet is the best for cancer.

I remember you said that you're using a specifically macrobiotic diet for your mother. My one concern is the high salt content of some of the macrobiotic delicacies. Miso, Shoyu, Tamari, Tempeh. Also I just read that pickled vegetables have been linked to cancer, and I seem to recall a lot of pickled vegetables in macrobiotic cooking (Daikon and Umeboshi Plums etc). But I guess those foods are not compulsory in a macrobiotic diet. They just happen to be foods that are commonly consumed by macrobiotic people in Japan.

Wishing you and your mother the best.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Theodore,

You are right in what you know about macrobiotics. I have reservations regaring this diet the more she is on it. She really misses some foods, like tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, nuts, etc...especially fruit.

I have not done a lot with the pickled veggies, though they are recommended. I do however, stick to the tamari as it is basically the only seasoning besides gomasio.

I would like to see just a nonprocessed vegan diet, but her cancer is a deadly one, and since my father beat his cancer with macrobiotics, it is scary to venture too far off this path. She has synovial sarcoma and frankly the cure rate if caught late, is nonexistent. Still truly struggling with the right thing to do for her.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 04/29/12 7:16 PM
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Nope. The clip is from a TV station in Portland, Maine, not Oregon.

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Great clip - thanks for sharing. I wish more people would see this, especially some family members who think they need meat and dairy, but have so many health problems in the family tree.
My thought when I saw so many of the people saying that they could never give up meat and cheese were the words of a naturalist who did a presentation at my daughter's school, "The mind is like a parachute, it is best when open." He also asked the kids (kindergarden and 1st graders) if they ate birds - most said no or ewww. When he asked who ate chicken, most hands went up. I don't think they make the connection when it no longer looks like an animal.

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM

cathyb wrote:

He also asked the kids (kindergarden and 1st graders) if they ate birds - most said no or ewww. When he asked who ate chicken, most hands went up. I don't think they make the connection when it no longer looks like an animal.

That's really sad. From the get-go, even though at the time we were omnivores, when son asked what this or that was, we'd tell him straight out - that's pig meat, it's called ham (or bacon or pork chop). And he'd visited farms enough to recognize a pig (or cow, chicken, etc.) Part of hubby's growing up years (when both his parents were laid off) consisted of growing their own veggies, raising chickens for eggs (and meat when they stopped laying), trading eggs for dairy with neighbors, and hunting for small game and deer. That mindset of knowing where the food comes from was just a natural thing, even if we weren't growing it or butchering it ourselves.

It was really sad, too, when the Food Revolution program was on (Jamie Oliver's TV program) that there were grammar school aged kids who didn't recognize and/or had never eaten some basic *vegetables* - they hadn't seen a *potato* that wasn't sliced and fried (into French fries or potato chips)! Of all the simple things to get one's hands on, a *potato*!

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

It's Portland ME vice OR.

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM

johnshoy wrote:

It's Portland ME vice OR.

So it's the Down Easters not Portlandians Wink

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Oceandog wrote:

She really misses some foods, like tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, nuts, etc...especially fruit.

Kym, I've never heard of fruit being out of bounds on a macrobiotic diet. Unless it's the "number 7" diet. But I thought that was only supposed to be a temperary thing. The macro-biotics I know recommends fruit very highly, but I'm not an expert on it.

Oceandog wrote:

Still truly struggling with the right thing to do for her.

How could I forget the Cancer Project. www.cancerproject.org and Food For Life TV. I also find Dr Barnard's Cancer Survival dvd incredibly interesting.

I better stop there, because it's too easy for me to rattle off all these suggestions when I'm not the one going through it.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Thanks CathyB, Deb,

I know what you mean about those members of the public they interviewed. To be honest what surprised me was the fact that those people weren't against it at all. They just didn't have the willpower to do it.

Wash your back

Edited 04/30/12 4:51 PM
Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Theodore, please do not be concerned about offering ideas. I need all the help I can get!

The fruit is minimized because the cancer has metastatsized to her lungs and tumors feed on fats and tumors.

I will bring up Dr. B's site for her to review, please share ideas, if nothing else it helps me to connect and not feel overwhelmed!

Posted Monday, April 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I just met with a friend today who I haven't seen in awhile. She was very interested in why, when, how I became vegan. She is considering eliminating dairy for her family. I will refer her to this site, as well as McDougall's. It was so nice to talk to someone who doesn't think I am crazy (well at least about diet anyway).

Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

cathyb wrote:

I just met with a friend today who I haven't seen in awhile. She was very interested in why, when, how I became vegan. She is considering eliminating dairy for her family. I will refer her to this site, as well as McDougall's. It was so nice to talk to someone who doesn't think I am crazy (well at least about diet anyway).

I think the message is definitely getting out there. Thanks to news articles like the one above. And Daphne Oz.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Oceandog wrote:

Theodore, please do not be concerned about offering ideas. I need all the help I can get!

The fruit is minimized because the cancer has metastatsized to her lungs and tumors feed on fats and tumors.

I will bring up Dr. B's site for her to review, please share ideas, if nothing else it helps me to connect and not feel overwhelmed!

Thanks for this post, Kym. I think a lot of people close themselves off to the outside world when this sort of thing happens. Which I imagine is quite self destructive.

I think the most interesting thing to me in Dr Barnard's DVD was the thing about Insulin Growth Factor. Apparently it's quite a major aggravator where cancer is concerned. Dairy is the biggest source of IGF1. But here's an article from Crazy Sexy Life that explains more about IGF1 and sugar in general. You probably know this stuff already:

http://crazysexylife.com/2010/does-sugar-feed-cancer/

If I was in this position, I would probably also email Dr McDougall for his advice, and I would probably also email The Plant Based Dietician Julieanna Hever. Not that they would actually treat your mother (definitely not without seeing her in person anyway), but they may be able to suggest the best books or DVD's or direct you to other experts in this field.

I'll try and think of some more ideas this evening.

Best to you

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Thanks for the link, Theodore. I have just watched it and wondering if they will be broadcasting the second one tonight (guessing this is a weekly piece).

Posted Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks for watching it, Yesim. I guess I should thank Kathy Freston because I only heard about this video from reading her twitter page. Hopefully there's another segment tonight.

Thanks also, slt and Jonhshoy.

Best to you.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, May 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Part 2 has been posted http://www.wgme.com/news/top-stories/stories/wgme_vid_11733.shtml wish they also put a link to PCRM. It has been thundering here now, so I am having difficulty in watching the video clip smoothly, but I will try again tomorrow.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 274 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org