Literature on Animal Laboratories
- Hansen L, Boss G. Use of live animals in the curricula of U.S. medical schools: survey results from 2001. Academic Medicine. 2002;77(11).
- Tan GM, Ti LK, Suresh S, Ho BS, Lee TL. Teaching first-year medical students physiology: does the human patient simulator allow for more effective teaching? Singapore Medical Journal. 2002;43(5):238-242.
- McCarthy M, Ranzinger M, Nolan D, Lamert C, Castillo M. Accuracy of cricothyroidotomy performed in canine and human cadaver models during surgical skills training. Journal of American College of Surgeons. 2002;195:627-629.
- Leathard HF, Dewhurst DG. Comparison of the cost-effectiveness of a computer-assisted learning program with a tutored demonstration to teach intestinal motility to medical students. Association for Learning Technology Journal. 1995; 3(1):118-125.
- Lilienfield LS, Broering NC. Computers as teachers: learning from animations. American Journal of Physiology. 1994;11(1): Advances in Physiology Education, S47-S54.
- Samsel R, Schmidt G, Hall J, Wood L, Shroff S, Schumacker P. Cardiovascular physiology teaching: computer simulations vs. animal demonstrations. Advances in Physiology Education. 1994:11(1).
- Tsang S, Caluda III M, Steinberg S, McSwain N, Flint L, Ferrara J. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: what’s so special? Southern Medical Journal. 1994; 87(11).
- Fawver AL, Branch CE, Trentham L, Robertson BT, Beckett SD. A comparison of interactive videodisc instruction with live animal laboratories. Am J Physiol 1990;259;6:Pt 3,S11-4.
- Bernard N, Stolz J, Baron L. Use of alternatives to animals in laboratory courses at U.S. medical schools. Journal of Medical Education. 1988;63.
- Henman MC, and Leach GDH. An alternative method for pharmacology laboratory class instruction using biovideograph video tape recordings. British Journal of Pharmacology. 1983;80: 591P.
- Jones N, Olafson R, Sutin J. Evaluation of a gross anatomy program without dissection. Journal of Medical Education. 1978;53:198-205.
Medical Schools With Live Animal Laboratories
Medical Schools With No Live Animal Laboratories
American Medical Student Association Position on Animals in Education
Replacing Animal Laboratories: What You Can Do
FAQ: Animal Use in Medical School Education