Food for Life: Kids Health
The Power of Food for a Healthy Start
The health problems faced by our youth today are unlike any in the past. Over the past three decades, childhood obesity rates in America have tripled, and today, nearly one in three children in the United States is overweight or obese. Poor diet and lack of exercise put today’s children at greater risk for heart disease, diabetes, and cancer later in life. A foundation for healthy eating at a young age is needed to lessen the risk for chronic diseases.
In the Food for Life: Kids Health classes, the curriculum highlights the positives of the four food groups (whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables) in the Power Plate. Children ages 9-12 are exposed to the great taste and health benefits of eating a plant-based diet through kid-friendly recipes approved by PCRM’s staff of dietitians. The curriculum aims to empower children with the knowledge and skills they need to establish healthy habits to carry them well into adulthood.
Featured Class Topics and Objectives
- Bang-Up Breakfasts: Learn the important role diet plays in the cancer process.
- In-Betweener Meals and Sweeter Deals: Identify the new four food groups using the Power Plate and understand the role of dietary fat, cholesterol, and fiber for overall health.
- Rainbow Lunches: Understand the importance of eating a “rainbow” of fruits and vegetables loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- Digging These Dinners: Recognize plant-based foods that are full of protein, calcium, and iron.
In the Food for Life: Kids Health classes, each child receives a workbook filled with activities and worksheets focused on nutrition and several recipes (many of which will be demonstrated in class).
The blenders used in many of our Food for Life classes were generously donated by the Vita-Mix Corporation.
The cookware and induction burners used in many of these classes were generously donated by Saladmaster.
New instructors and cities are frequently added. Watch this site for new classes near you.
- Whole Foods Market Carmel : Food for Life: Kids Health
- Carrboro Century Center : Food for Life: Kids Health
- NiaMoves Studio : Food for Life: Kids Health
- Roanoke Recreation Center : Food for Life: Kids Health